Olakira Luxury Tented Mobile camp - Need Reviews

Jul 25th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Olakira Luxury Tented Mobile camp - Need Reviews

Sadly, we cannot get the Ndutu lodge in Feb 2010...grr.

What are my nearby options in the South ? Anyone have any recommendations for this place?

Olakira Luxury Tented Mobile camp

Thx !
Jul 25th, 2009, 09:12 AM

I am also looking at Tanzania for February 2010 - FWIW I understand that it is worth waitlisting at Ndutu Lodge and that rooms often become available later in the year as the tour operators release block reservations.............there are others here who know way more than I do and hopefully they'll help with the Olakira question.
Jul 25th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Elizabeth,
Currently I'm being told that I will be 5th or 6th in the waiting list...am going to talk to my agent later today and let you know what happens (what other choices I get). Keep me informed too.
Jul 25th, 2009, 09:30 AM

I'm looking at a 5 night Mobile Safari trip by Nomad Tanzania -

http://www.nomad-tanzania.com/camps/...t_charlie.html

Cheaper than Olakira (I think) but smaller tents. (Private guide/driver for each tent though).
Jul 25th, 2009, 10:12 AM

There are a lot of options for mobile tented camps near Ndutu for Feb. This list on Eben's site is a good resource to find some other than Olakira. You'll have to sift through it to find the mobile camps: http://go-safari.com/Serengeti/CCAfricaUnderCanvas.htm
Jul 25th, 2009, 10:29 AM

We stayed at both Olakira and Ndutu Lodge in March 2008. Olakira camp was a short drive from Ndutu. Personally, I liked Olakira better. The cabins are nice, but it lacked the intimacy of a small tented camp. It bothered us that our guide wasn't allowed to eat with us and he wasn't even allowed to come into the common area.
Jul 25th, 2009, 04:47 PM

Olakira is superior and probably more expensive. The food is excellent, and the tents are very nice without going over the top.
Aug 9th, 2009, 02:17 AM

We stayed at Olakira in July and really enjoyed it. At most of the camps we stayed, the guide was not allowed to eat with us, and I agree it was we thought that an odd policy. We did all eat together at Lemala at the Crater at one big table, including all other guests and the camp host, and had great conversation about Tanzania. One of our favorite evenings.
Aug 9th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Lovely, thx !! I've booked Olakira...can't wait....