Okavango Delta Advise (end of Otober visit)

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okavango Delta Advise (end of Otober visit)

I am really confused about this section of my trip and was wanting some pointers. I will be in a 4x4 self drive coming from etosha NP and I want to see the delta before heading to Chobe then Vic Falls

My issue is the area is so big and there are so many options. as I will only probably be visiting the delta once in my lifetime I want to make sure I see it at its best. Is there a big difference between staying in a lodge in the centre as opossed to baseing yourself in Maun. The lodges seem very expensive but if it is worth it I may be able to find the additional money?

Here is my itinery for this section

Day16

Up at first light at Etosha Namutoni camp early leave and drive to Rundi then onto popa falls to camp\or if time onto the pan handles stay at Drotskies Cabins

Day17

Popa falls\pan handle onto Maun stay at Audi Camp stop at airport for scenic flight

Day18

Mokoro Trip

Day19

Mokoro Trip

Day 20 ???

Maybe day 21?

I have one or possible 2 days and as I will be heading to chobe I want to see one of the other sections of the delta possible moremi? Although I will be in a 4wd I dont really want to do much hard-core driving as there will just be the 2 of us in it

Anyone any advise out there
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 08:06 AM
sniktawk

OK I am doing the same trip from Etosha to Maun later this year. It is entirely possible as the roads are all tar, it should take 2 days although it is a long way. I do not think you could get to Drotskies Cabins in one day, I would suggest stopping at Poppa Falls.
From there a day to Maun is possible, remember the roads maybe tarred but they can have lots of animals in the way plus there are lots of pieces with quite low speed limits (designed for revenue purposes only)
I do not know how you intend to get from Maun to Chobe NP but the road is very hard and not recommended to a one vehicle convoy, especially if you have not had much experience of driving on sand.
If you are mostly intent on going to Chobe then it would be best from Etosha to travel through the Caprivi strip to Ngoma bridge to cross into Chobe.
To get from Chobe to Maun on usable roads i.e. via Nata will take at least a day (550km at most).

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply

I want to see the Delta and Chobe

but I want to see another section of the delta apart from Maun and was looing for some ideas

In terms of driving to Chobe was planning on either seeing if there was a couple of people who will be doing it and taging along with them. If not then I was going to drive the longer\easier route via Nata

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 09:19 AM

For an interesting article on the road from Maun to Kasane read http://ngamitimes.com/
The road from Shakawe to Maun is not good but will take about 4 hours. Fuel at Gumare for a refill.Mokoro out of maun and Audi camp is not to great. If you are already doing a flight over the delta, I would suggest Oddballs Camp or Gunns Camp for the more budget options. A bit more but well worth the trips.When you put the rate for the flight + the mokoro trip to ditsipi etc. Alittle bit extra and you are close to Chiefs Island and some great delta experience.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Bots thanks for the reply, would it be safe to leave the 4x4 at the airport if I do a 3 day trip to odballs?

Also do you think it is worth spending a day around the panhandle staying at Drotskies Cabins, or should I just head straigh down to Maun.

Also If I have 4 days in the delta should I stay at 2 camps or just at one (maybe oddballs) as I will have a 4x4 with camping?
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 09:54 AM

Unless you are into fishing and birding, there is not much game at drotskies.You can leave the 4x4 at the airport and should not have a problem.
I would suggest staying all the nights say at oddballs, doing the camping out with mokoro and guide, they do some walking on the islands and its a true close to nature experience.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

am planning on getting to chobe one of 2 ways, I heard that the drive can be very tricky via rough track and that it is need to be done in convey so was planning to see if I can convey up with anyone. If I cannot or the conditions are to bad I was planning or driving the road route via Nata stopping overnight to break up the journey

What do you think of this plan? and If I am going via Nata do you have an opinion on a good stop off?
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 09:41 AM

Have you got park bookings in Moremi, Savute etc?If not you will never make the trip in one day through the parks.
The road from maun via nata, nata lodge is ok. But depends what time you leave maun.Early enough and you can drive to Kasane in one day.
For good rates in Kasane have a look at Yawning Hippo http://www.afrizim.com/Places/Chobe/...ning_Hippo.asp
Accommodation for 40$
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the info bots, as I am in a 4x4 with roof tent, which are the best campsites in chobe?

I am still doing my research and I have not yet booked camp sites in the park as I was unsure what route I would be taking to get to chobe