Flights to Abu Simbel

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 01:03 PM
CASS

Flights to Abu Simbel

I have read repeatedly that you shouldn't have to pay more than $85 for the flight from Aswan to Abu Simbel. Is that roundtrip or one way? I have been quoted $148 roundtrip. Is that the going rate now?

Thanks.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 02:25 PM
Charlie

Cass I was there last month and I paid $150 for the Abu option on my organized tour.From what I've seen on this forun(using search)$85 would be round trip from Aswan to Abu if you book independently from any organized tour.Hope this helps a little,have a safe trip.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 04:34 PM
CASS

That's where I'm confused. I am trying to book independently, and the prices I'm finding on EgyptAir, even on Travelocity, are running close to $150. Anyone know how I can get the $85 tickets?

Thanks,
CASS

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 05:07 PM
Charlie

Cass if you run a search on this forum on Abu Simbel you will find the info you seek.I remember someone giving ticket details about a month or so ago,give it a try.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 06:48 PM
Alice

CASS, I was probably the one you read about that paid the US$85, and I did go into some detail about how I went about it. This is round trip from Aswan to Abu Simbel. I went directly to the Egypt Air office in downtown Cairo and bought my ticket there just days before leaving with my tour group on our cruise (Trafalgar Tours wanted an astounding $270 for this "option"!!). I do go into detail on this subject (among many) in some notes I have put together. If you have not received a copy of them, you can e-mail me at the above address and I'll be happy to send them along.

Best Regards, Alice

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 08:33 AM
jodi

What ever you do sit on the left of the plane flying in...you fly right by the temples. Look the minute you see the end of Lake Nassar..they are literally in front of you.

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 09:11 AM
Noemí

Can one fly from Luxor to abu Simbel?
Thanks

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 01:25 PM
Lee

Hi Cass,

After reading Alice's email re her $85 flight (hi Alice), I too contacted Air Egypt to avoid Trafalgar's $270 option charge. The best price I could get from them in Canada was $148 US which still saved us $244. They've not only raised the prices in 10 months with the high cost of fuel now, but possibly because Alice was there over the Christmas holidays the prices might have been off season. You would never get a seat last minute if you go in any of the peak months. The plane was packed.
As for the details of our experience of flying to Abu Simbel, feel free to write me directly.

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 06:52 PM
Alice

..And Hi to you, Lee. Guess you and Chuck made it back OK. That must have been something having all your plans for Israel go down the tubes.

Egypt can be a strange country as far a pricing and I'll bet if I walked into the EgyptAir office downtown right now I could get a ticket cheaper than the $148 you paid. I was there during the "Millennium" and there was barely a spare bed in the city. And, yes, the flight was crowded and not all that pleasant. Thank goodness it was short and that the end result was well worth it. But, as you said, Lee, it beats paying Trafalgar's outrageous price. Hope you'll feed us some tidbits of your journey on this site ..the good, the bad and the ugly!!

Later, Alice