Okavango - Chiefs Camp / Stanleys camp

Jan 6th, 2005, 02:47 AM
Original Poster

Okavango - Chiefs Camp / Stanleys camp

I've heard very good things about both camps. In February it'll be my first time in Botswana (I've spent lots of time in the bush in other parts of Africa)

For those who've been there, what would you do - spend 6 nights in Chiefs or split the time with Stanleys Camp ?

I don't get bored in the bush, so it's not a matter of itchy feet, just whether the camp experiences are different enough to warrant a move.

Jan 6th, 2005, 03:51 AM
mv

Greg

I would definitely make a split between the two. I stayed at both in 2002.
Chiefs had superb game and a lot of game activity in full view from camp. I believe I saw 14 different species of mammals in two days!. However Chiefs does not do night drives as they are in the Moremi Game Reserve.
Stanleys on the other hand does do night drives. If the Elephant activity is still available at Stanleys this will be a wonderful opportunity to interact with 3 semihabituated elephants

Michael
Jan 9th, 2005, 12:52 PM

You might also want to look at Moombo and Jao camps-day and night drives and water activities. Check out www.wilderness-safaris.com.
Jan 9th, 2005, 06:36 PM

i stayed at chief's and baines- which is right near to stanleys and also offers the elli experience.

the people i met at chief's had done the elepant thing and could not stop talking about it- it's expensive $300 USD per person, but if you do decide to stay at stanleys, think about it.

since baines does the same drives as stanleys i would have to say the overall variety and quality of the game viewing- while excellent at both places-- to me was better in the first region, so i would vote that you split your time.

besaide, you may get tired of the same scenery and the same drive after 6 nights in one [place.

if it matters to you- stanleys is a step down in terms of comfort from chiefs.

enjoy.

Search this Thread