ok, how about this...

Sep 3rd, 2007, 05:43 PM
jit
Original Poster

ok, how about this...

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with my preliminary itinerary for Namibia and South Africa.

Day 1-2 Windhoak – 2 days/1 night
(4.5 hrs by Bus to)

Day 3-8 Swakopmund – 5 days/4 nights
Walvis Bay
Skeleton Coast (Cape Cross seal reserve)
Spitzkoppe (Damaraland)
Activities
oBalooning or Scenic Flight
oRock Climbing

Day 9-12 (Day trip to) Sossuvlei & Namib-Naukluft Park – 3 days/2 nights
•Sandboarding
•Quad Biking
•Paragliding from Dunes
•Sesriem Canyon

Day 13-16
via Keetmanshoop
Ludernitz – 3 days/ 2 nights
•Penguin Island
•Seal Island
•Ghost Town Tours

Day 17 Fish River Canyon

Day 18-23 Cape Town – 5 days/ 4 nights

Day 19 - Cape Agulhas
Day 20 - Garden Route to Kysna
Day 21 - Tsitsikama NP
Day 22- 25 - Lesotho 3 days/2 nights
Day 26-29 - Sani Pass to Drakenberg Mt and Joberg
Day 30-33 Mpumalanga 3 days/2 nights
•Kruger NP
•Blyde River Canyon
•Suwala Caves

I'm wondering if I'm missing some places in these areas that are worth seeing. I think we're looking for scenery and unique activities (cultural or adventurous) since we will be doing a lot of gaming prior to this. Also am I spending enough time in these places?
Sep 3rd, 2007, 08:14 PM

jit,

You seen to like adventure activities....on the garden route, there is the world's largest commercial bungee jumping experience. Blakraans (spelling?)......it's a lot of fun!
Sep 3rd, 2007, 08:15 PM

Typo : Highest not Largest
Sep 3rd, 2007, 08:32 PM

I was in Namibia in June. I went to Sossusvlei, Damaraland, and Ongava. The dunes at Sossusvlei are fantastic. I had a great time climbing Big Daddy and the view from the top was fantastic. I think paragliding from the dunes would be alot of fun and the view would be breathtaking.

I took a scenic flight from Sossusvlei to Damaraland, with a stop in Swakopmund and Walvis Bay. A boat ride on the Bay was nice, but it was by no means adventurous. I don't know you, but from the list of potential activities, I'd spend the time quad biking. I did that also, and it was fun. Where I went you have to follow behind a guide but he will go at the pace of the group, so if you are all adventurous you should have fun.

I did not go to Skeleton Coast, but met several people who did, and they all raved about it. Some went to the southern part of the park, and thought it was really great. But, others who went to Serra Cafema (which I think is only accesssible by plane, but I'm not sure) absolutely raved about it.

I also met some people who did the hot air baloon over the dunes, at Sossusvlei. They said it was magnificent.

I went to Sessriem Canyon, and it was a nice afternoon activity to do after climbing the dunes that morning. You can't do any climbing there, but the scenery is beautiful, and very different from the dunes.

Sounds like a great trip. Have fun!
Sep 4th, 2007, 08:31 AM

We're still in the planning stage for Cape Town, although we'll be there next month. Where did you decide to stay? I'm undecided whether to stay in a small B & B in a quiet area or that Green area. We'll have a car.

Could you break down your itinerary for Cape Town? We'll have 4 nights.
Sep 4th, 2007, 10:13 AM

Hi jit

Couple of I'm glad I did - a/ got a photographer's permit into Kolmanskop which gave access sunrise to sunset b/ went walking in the Namib-Naukluft Park(completely different when you've just been to Sossusvlei!).

Quad-biking is always great fun, although as a biker not a driver I have a major problem with corners!!! Makes for a group laugh anyway Like Dana said, it's possible to do in Swakop and we had a great time there.

I've been on a balloon-flight from Swakop, and it was good - but I think the one at Sossusvlei would be even better, so if I had the choice, that would be my pick. The scenery will be better, and you don't have to drive 40kms to get out of the fog bank.

Paragliding off the dunes just has to be done - added to my 'to-do' list!

I'm sure you'll have a great time

Ysa
Sep 4th, 2007, 07:03 PM
jit
Original Poster

hi all, thanks for the greats feedback, i'd love to have some more info about Lesotho/Sani Pass...!
The only thing I wonder is how we would get from Kysna to Lesotho...and go through the book recommeded Sani pass...should I be adding a stop somewhere? Seems like on awfully long distace to travel by car!