Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

OK, Did Singita, Mt. Nelson Hotel this year but I am looking for much more reasonable accomodations for next year...

Search

OK, Did Singita, Mt. Nelson Hotel this year but I am looking for much more reasonable accomodations for next year...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 05:43 AM
Rocco

I was absolutely amazed to find a private game reserve in the Sabi Sand reserve that charges less than 1/4 the price that Singita charges. Really, for less than 1 night for a single room, I can get 3 nights with 2 rooms (one double and one single room).<BR>I am looking at the Nkorho Bush Lodge and a couple other places that I found that probably caters mostly to vacationing South Africans rather than wealthy Americans and Europeans, as Singita, Londolozi, Royal Malewani, Sabi Sabi and Mala Mala serve.<BR>Next April, my wife and I are planning on taking my mother with us to South Africa and will most likely do an overnight at the Rosebank Hotel, a beautiful yet reasonable hotel steps away from the Grace Hotel (the Joburg sister hotel to the Cape Grace). From there it will be three nights safari followed by five nights in Cape Town where I will likely stay at a very nice B&B in Camps Bay or Bantry Bay for 1/3 the price I paid at the Mount Nelson and Tably Bay Hotel this year and ending the trip with a four night stay in London where I will run the London Marathon. The hardest part of the trip this year was the 30+ hours that it took from leaving my hotel room in Cape Town to arriving home in Los Angeles. Next year I will eliminate that by finishing my trip in London and it will not add more than about $100 per person to the price of my airfare!!!<BR>I would like any suggestions on very nice but reasonable accomodations in South Africa for both B&B's and private game reserves.<BR>From experience I know that I will spend very little time in my actual room and while I appreciate the beauty of Singita, Mount Nelson Hotel and the Table Bay Hotel, one of the things that I loved most during my stay in Cape Town was being in the City Bowl area while at Mount Nelson and just exploring with my wife. Plus, the waterfront area surrounding Table Bay Hotel was a little too commercial. I figure that I can save close to $5000 this year by choosing accomodations that are still nice but not top notch.<BR>Only by doing this will I have a chance to go to South Africa anytime I want, given the fixed price of the airfare from Los Angeles.<BR>Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 05:58 AM
kavey

No suggestions but just wanted to say that your trip sounds great!<BR>If you think you'll have time to meet for coffee or lunch when you are all in London do email me.<BR>I had the pleasure to meet a fellow Africaphile Fodorite and her husband for lunch earleir in the year when they stopped in London on the way to Africa and it was a real pleasure.<BR>Kavey

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 10:42 AM
RnR

Rocco, read your post with interest. Just returned from MalaMala - excellent game veiwing, food, lodging - but not as fancy as Singita, and far less expensive. You might ask your travel agent to price Kirkman';s Kamp for your next trip. Camp Byas is very nice - had dinner there one night when stayiong at Cape Grace - 2001. I have a suggestion for you - and it is nice inexpensive: via an agent contact Wilderness Safaris and have them price Mombo in Botswana. You fly from J'Burg via Maun, then by small aircraft. It is expensive, and worht every penny. I realize your goal next time os to save money. Fine, but sometime in the future, think about Botswana - excleent rangers and game, and having just come from Mombo, I can assure you the price is worth it. Have a good day.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 12:19 PM
RnR

Whoops, Mombo is expensive, and nice inexpensive was a big typo.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 03:07 AM
traci

Two suggestions in the areas you mentioned:<BR>The Clarendon (Fresnaye) - small B&B.<BR>www.claredon.co.za<BR>Place on the Bay (Camps Bay) - These are apartments of various sizes - which may be perfect for your purposes.<BR>www.ThePlaceOnTheBay.co.za<BR><BR>Ano ther very resonable and absolutely stunning alternative in Johannesburg is The Quartermain Inn in Morningside. Very, very reasonable and lovely.<BR>

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 10:39 AM
jhall

We just returned from S.A. and stayed at the Rosenhof, a B&B in Pretoria. It is a very elegant, well appointed B&B, impecable service and not at all expensive..highly recommend it.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Bri

Hi Rocco, <BR>You seem to have done all the very Europeon parts of South Africa. <BR>Would you consider staying in a safe B and B in the townships - you get the chance to experience a whole new side of Africa this way and contribute directly to the communites. <BR>They take you on tours, you hear African music and learn different languages and culture. <BR>A lot cheaper to!!<BR>I have some contacts if your interested