Help with clothing size conversions for South Africa

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, everyone. I hope this request isn't too far afield for this forum, but I need some help with translating some clothing terms and sizes from South African to American English. While we were on safari last year in South Africa we met a woman working at one of the lodges and got to know her fairly well. Her family is in Zimbabwe and we are trying to help her get clothing to them. She has given us sizes and requests, but there are some translation problems I hope someone on this forum can help me with. First, does anyone know how to convert South African clothing and shoe sizes to American sizing? She has told me her sisters wear size 32 and her mother wears a 40. Her father wears an 8-9 shoe size. Also, she has asked for takkies and snickers and I'm clueless about what these are. I know this isn't a travel question, per se, but you all have been so helpful in the past and I really didn't know where else to ask. Thank you for any help you might give me. We're really trying to help her family.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I hope I'm not too late to help.
Takkies are what American's refer to as sneakers (I think snickers was a misspelling of this) or some kind of running/sports shoe.

A women's size 32 is about a US 4
A women's size 40 is about a US size 12
Our shoe sizing system is the same as the UK. A size 9 for men is about a size 10 shoe size in the states

I hope this helps