Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   OHMIGOSH! I have some news... (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/ohmigosh-i-have-some-news-840559/)

LyndaS May 16th, 2010 10:18 PM

OHMIGOSH! I have some news...

Now that the tax books are closed for all my Johny-come-at-the last minute clients and I have 10 minutes to myself to think, I just wanted to post a couple pieces of news that my fine friends on this board may find intersting. Well, I don't know, could be interesting to some maybe! (and maybe not at all interesting to others, who knows...)

I wish I could say that the stapler was being packed up for another fine trip to East Africa, but alas no, not quite yet, it's still in my drawer waiting to jump out.

Here's NEWS number one, newsworthy to an African board.

As you all know Jim and I were VERY impressed with Daniel's company (DK Grand Safaris) and his product, and, over the past four years he has been a very integral part of our lives as a friend. In the fall last year, he asked if we could give him some guidance on how he could market his company in North America, and after thinking about it, we decided to that we could have a lot of good ideas to offer him. With this in mind, I wanted to be absolutely up-front with everyone on this board and let you know that we are - on a voluntary basis - going to help him market his product. But, don't go running away - we are not doing this on the internet, so no fears! Jim was very much involved at one time in his career in the marketing field (pre-internet) and has some great ideas that he is going to run with for Daniel. They may be old-fashioned ideas, but we feel they are good ones! Jim's doing most of the work on this, as our regular clients are very much still keeping me buried doing their books. Seems bookkeeping is a really recession proof industry!

So, first off, let me say that even though it is only voluntary at this time, who knows where that may lead some day, so I will <b>not</b> market him, nor his company, on this board, nor any other board - I will respect the rules. I would like to someday finish my trip report mind you, if that's still OK & doesn't break the rules because I REALLY wanted to tell everyone about Matemwe Retreat still! (cool place). :-)

Anyhow, don't want to bore you guys with details, and it won't change much with me, but I needed to put this down on screen & type. (that's like pen & ink, only now...)

Second piece of news - NOT Africa related! A really good deal on a cruise came along for Dec - from Buenos Aires to Santiago around Cape Horn - couldn't resist following in Magellan's footsteps & going to see those penguins down there so we are booked & can't wait to go! Lynn, I'm going on a search for a Patagonian fox - that's my quest on this cruise - is that one on your list (I'm sure it is) and if it is already crossed off as been there done that - any good pieces of advice? :-)

cary999 May 16th, 2010 10:52 PM

Cruise Buenos Aires to Santiago Chile, good cruise did that a few years ago, on Princess Line I think. Your on what line? Weather around the horn was good, which disappointed me, wanted traditional bad Cape Horn weather/seas!!! Penguins were highlight.

Two more things. First - arrive BA a day or two early and go to a professional Tango Bar/show (I think they are called "bars"). Best (professional) dancing I have ever seen. Second - watch your cameras there, Carolyn had one taken right out of her hand in broad daylight. (Seems to be typical in South America :( ).

Also, kindly, tell Jim I'm -still- working on last safari (Sep 2009) DVD, going very slow, about half done. Will be contacting him to review my beta version!!!

regards - tom

rsnyder May 17th, 2010 03:53 AM

LyndaS
I appreciated hearing the news and the spirit of the offering. Also, your expression of maintaining the integrity of the forum.
Knowing what you know about the variety of questions first timers and even veteran travelers have about safaris who better to associate with a safari providing company or friend to provide even better service.
As a couple of others who work in the industry and who post on this forum, I am sure you will do well to maintain the balance.
Thanks for the news. Dick

atravelynn May 17th, 2010 05:13 AM

Some great developments for you!

And hang on to that camera.

sandi May 17th, 2010 05:57 AM

Drat! and here I thought we might finally meet up :)

Anyway, good news. And, why not help out! Will give you something to do when not under those tax rules/regs. But you must keep up with the Trip Report Index, for which I still owe a report on my 2008 visit... ugh! Sandi bad! Though believe it or not... some is actually written.

Patty May 17th, 2010 08:46 AM

Nice to hear, Lynda and have a great time on your cruise. I'd like to hear more about that too.

cougfan May 17th, 2010 01:40 PM

Lynda,

I am so excited for you & Jim and your cruise around the tip of South America. Go onto Cruise Critic for a lot of info. What cruise line? I am going to Antarctica the end of November, so I will be seeing penguins also.

Julie

sylviam May 17th, 2010 04:50 PM

Glad to hear that you can help Daniel, off the board, with DK Safaris. Our trip in April with my nephew was beyond my expectation. I still have to write the trip report I promised him but have been buried in a new promotion.

Also, your cruise sounds fabulous!

Calo May 18th, 2010 06:17 AM

Way to go, Lynda and Jim. I envy your cruise and applaud your volunteering for Daniel.

Would you believe we briefly looked into that same cruise for the 4 of us, but it ate into the last bit of Mitchell's fall semester at uni! Drat, otherwise we'd have been sailing together! Wouldn't that have been a hoot. At any rate, an exciting adventure for you to look forward to.

LyndaS May 23rd, 2010 07:16 PM

Thanks for all your support everyone, I appreciate it!

Tom, we are booked on Holland America, I am really looking forward to trying this line, as we have not previously. And I am REALLY looking forward to the time in BA & the adventure of going around the Horn. Of course if it is rough, I will be 'green' and probably running back into the cabin lots, but that's OK, I can take pictures in between! I am writing to our guide tonight to book a tango show, I have read that they are not to be missed. We will heed your warning on the valuables, and watch them closely. I passed your message on to Jim; he said he is looking forward to seeing it.

Dick, thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it & will try to maintain that balance as well as the others you are referring to. I have great examples to follow!

Sandi, yes, drat, we HAVE to meet up in Africa one day!! We're planning a Med or a Baltic cruise next summer with Imelda, Deck (remember Burundi?) & their little guy, but the following year I am leaving open to go back to Afree-kah as I will surely miss it by then! And, as per usual, we will probably plan it in late May/June, so keep that in mind.... Meantime I REALLY have to catch up on the trip reports - I will, I promise!

Patti & Lynn - thanks and yes, I will post something once we get back from the cruise, it is really an interesting one with lots to see and do. I must find that fox, and I will ask the Captain to please stop at a different port if I can't find it at any he stops at. :-)

Julie, I was just going to email you this weekend - we are setting a date for the 3rd annual (OK, I know, I skipped a year, but...) Afree-kah GTG night! Good to hear from you, and maybe we will cross paths in early Dec if you are still on the Antarctic cruise then. What line are you going on? Maybe we'll be in Ushuaia at the same time!

Sylvia, I am so glad that you enjoyed your time on safari! I look forward to reading your report and hearing how your young nephew enjoyed it. What a great aunt & uncle he has!

Cathy that would have been super-fun to be travelling with you guys! We would have had a blast, but I can see why you didn’t go, Mitchell missing his last term in university would not be a good idea.

cary999 May 23rd, 2010 07:57 PM

Holland America is a good line, we have been on it several times. We also like Princess, have never been on "upper class" line like QM2 or Crystal. We liked the BA tango show so much that we went back the next night to see it again!!!! Still working on the DVD, not even half done, seems to have very low priority!!

Your GTG, will be up your way or down my way?

regards - tom

LyndaS May 24th, 2010 09:42 AM

Tom, it's at our house in Vancouver - come on on up (and Carolyn too of coure)! It's lots of fun and good food & lots of sharing of pictures & DVD's. And usually good weather (touch wood).

I'll be posting a separate thread as soon as I nail down a date, but it will be August, plenty of time to plan.

tucsoncoors Jul 4th, 2010 03:10 PM

Don't know if this is too late, but congrats on your new initiative with Daniel- and your planned cruise. We cruised with HAL over Christmas/New Years from Valpariso to Rio - our cruise included Antarctica. The quality of the HAL lecturers exceeded our expectations. Our trip was incredible - Your posts have been so helpful, I would be happy to share pictures and info with you from our cruise. I did have my camera stolen while in Santiago - so yes keep your camera tight to you. Luckily, hubby had his camera with him just not as good a zoom as on my new one. One thing I can suggest, is adding a day to two arranging to go to Iguazu Falls from Buenos Aires before your cruise. If you want you can email me direct at [email protected]. We leave for our Safari Tour August 16th and after reading all your trips reports, we can't wait. Thanks again.

LyndaS Jul 5th, 2010 07:27 AM

I would love to see some pictures & info on the cruise, that would be wonderful! I will email you, and I will definitely keep my camera close to me at all times!