Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

must you book africa w/ a company, is it possible to do f.i.t.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello-

new here but getting the sense that one doesn't just book africa on one's own, but does so "through" a company...is this the case?

is it that each game lodge is affiliated with a company and thus, you must join the tour to get the lodging, or can you book your own as a f.i.t.?

apologies as i am brand new at africa. thanks!
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 05:19 PM

kerikeri,

While most game lodges prefer that you go through an agent, some will accept direct bookings. The only problem with that is that you will likely be asked to make wire transfers into their accounts, and not that you are in danger of getting ripped off or anything, but it is somewhat burdensome.

You just need to contact each individual lodge and ask for a quote and ask if they accept direct bookings, and if so, if there are any cost benefits to giving them a direct booking. Otherwise, if there is no cost benefit, why bother?

You should really do a lot of homework, decide where you would like to visit and just start contacting lodges, but also contact a couple agents to see how you are performing next to the agent.

Good luck.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

ok.

thanks for that!
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 03:09 AM
sandi

And you have to decide where you wish to visit in Africa - a big continent. There's Egypt in the North; Morocco in the N.West; Kenya, Tanzania & Uganda in E.Africa; and Southern Africa includes South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia.

You can worth with tour operators in your home country, or in-country from the area you wish to travel, or yourself - but must do a comparison for prices, transfers, etc. And, of course, your budget has to be considered.

Consider what Roccco advised above, do some more work on your own, then come back here with specific inquiries.

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 03:45 AM

I am also planning my first safari for next summer in Kenya, with a Zanzibar extension. In www.africaguide.com they can arrange customised safaris according to your budget. They put me in contact with 3 different African companies who provided me itineraries according to days and budget of travel. I liked very much the way one of them handles everything, it's Eastern and Southern Safaris. They provided me a great quote for the safari and Zanzibar extension , with a minibus,a guide, airport transfers, all game drives included, all meals and great lodges. I don't have to worry about anything. They have excellent feedback and provide me every information I need. I am also a person who likes doing all by myself , booking directly with hotels and so on, but we are going to Africa. Driving there and everything is very different from going to any other place in the world. I also sugest you to work a customised safari with a company. You can work with them, ask all questions, tell them what you want and discuss lodges and camps and when you arrive there you don't have to worry with anything.