Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Off to Rwanda, Kenya, and Tanzania tomorrow!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After months and months of planning, we are finally going on our first safari! My sister and I (23 and 25 year old females) will be arriving at NBO on Feb. 6th and then going to Rwanda before coming back for a 10 day Kenya safari, then moving on to 2 weeks in TZ. We will be using R&N Xplorer in Rwanda, Gametrackers in Kenya, and Access2Tanzania in Tanzania. I will have my laptop with me, so hopefully I can get online at some point and report back on how Kenya is. To be honest, im more scared of the flights from LAX-LHR-NBO than I am about the issues in Kenya.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone on this board who has been so helpful (even if you did not directly answer my question, reading all the other posts has been invaluable). Expect a very long trip report and lots of pics when i come back! And if you happen to be in Africa around the same time, keep your eyes out for us! ;-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jenbertoni/2239169547/
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 10:19 AM

Have a safe trip jen. Don't know if you heard or not, but there was a major earthquake in Rwanda, hope it doesn't interfere with your trip and hope the death toll remains low.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7224925.stm
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 10:47 AM

Have a safe and happy journey!
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 11:04 AM

Safiri salama!
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 11:20 AM

Sounds like a fantastic itinerary. Have a great trip and we look forward to hearing from you!
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 11:52 AM

I hope you and your sister (missed her name) have a wonderful time jenbertoni! I thought I recall that you were going to be doing a bit of self-driving, is this still part of your plans? I would love to do this as well but would feel a bit nervous as a female amongst a few other worries so am anxious to hear the experiences of you two brave young women.

>And if you happen to be in Africa around the same time, keep your eyes out for us!<

After looking at your snap Jen I do believe you two may stand out a bit and not be hard to find -- it is rare for humans to rival the beauty of the wild things!

Be safe and strong, I will be checking in for any snippets you may have a chance to share with us during your travels.

All the best, Den

Earthquake information with frequent updates: earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/

Rwanda Details: tinyurl.com/29xkue
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the well wishes everyone! I did not know about the Rwanda earthquakes until now (so busy focusing on the issues in kenya i suppose). What sad news.

Den- I may have previously asked about self driving, but it must have been waaay early in my planning before i really knew what a safari involved. We will be with a driver/guide for our whole trip. I definitely dont want to brave such strange territory just yet...im not that adventurous!
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 12:58 PM

I'll look for you since I may be in Kenya some of the same days you are!
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 05:07 PM

Jen,

I hope you get Richard in Rwanda.
If you do tell him hello from Wayne & Mary Ellen in United States. He was great.