Off The Beaten Track Suggestions for Egypt

Jan 17th, 1999, 06:49 PM
Geoff

Off The Beaten Track Suggestions for Egypt

My Mom is traveling to Egypt in Feb. with a group tour but will have some free time on her own. I figure she's already read the usual tour books. I'm looking for any out of the way suggestions or other things you wouldn't know from the usual guides. Interesting side trips, out of the way eating places, overrated attractions, stuff too new to make the books, etc.

TIA.

Jan 26th, 1999, 08:45 PM
jodi jodi

I will be going to see the sunrise in Abu Simbal on Feb. 22 before I join my tour. This should be a must if she can get the timing right. It is possible to spend the night in ABu Simbel...she must know what the significance of this date is, if not it should be fun figuring it out.

Jan 27th, 1999, 10:42 AM
Paula

My hope is that your mother sticks with the group and does not become adventurous on her trip to Egypt. There is plenty to see and do on the average tour with the group without straying.

Although the security has been beefed up in the tourist areas, Egypt still is a
Third World country with very real domestic problems. Poverty is endemic
to the area as is the rise of Arab Fundamentalism. The price of the average tour is more than most Egyptians earn in a year.

My suggestion is to exercise due diligence. Stay with the group and don't venture on your own. Take taxis
from the hotels. Keep a low profile.

The spots on the tour are VERY different and exotic in their own right and what
time there is allowed is best spent relaxing rather than pursuing an adventure that might turn into more than is bargained for.

Feb 2nd, 1999, 03:34 PM
Geoff

Thanks Paula for the reminder. I wasn't looking to send my mom *that* far off the beaten track. I was really just trying to get some ideas that you wouldn't find in a regular tour book. Just simple things like a special restaurant, etc. As it turns out she doesn't have all that much free time in Cairo, but just enough that she needed some ideas.

And thanks too to jodi.

Search this Thread