Reload this Page >

Jordan car rental or taxis ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 1998, 02:26 PM
Bob Walker

We are going to be in Jordan in late January. <BR>We would like to see quite a bit of the country and would like to know whether it is advisable to rent a car.

Old Dec 17th, 1998, 10:00 PM
Plonter

I rented an Avis car from the airport last year and had the most amazing time. The roads are quite empty and the standard of driving is ok. You can get to see so much more.

Old Dec 18th, 1998, 01:50 PM
Bob Walker

Thanks for you reply. I guess my concern would be getting in/out of Amman. Is the traffic there managable ? Good signs ? <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 21st, 1998, 10:17 AM
Alex

Hi Bob - We didn't rent a car and found Jordan to be extremely accessible. Of course it depends what kind of travel you do, but buses, taxis (service taxis too), and hitching worked well. Remember, Jordan is a small country. Once you figure out the general direction you need to go (e.g. south to Petra), you go to a bus station and 99% sure someone is going your direction, or you stand on the side of a larger road and wait for a bus or car. Seriously, travel in Jordan is simple. Sometimes you have to catch a connection that is in the middle of nowhere, but a ride is always bound to come around. Otherwise, you book ahead with JETT buses, which are reasonable, clean, and timely. <BR>

Old Jan 17th, 1999, 11:13 PM
Marwan Lallas

Car Rental and Driving in Jordan. Good roads link Amman and the main towns and villages in Jordan. And most of the tourist sites can also be reached by car. Arabic and English international road signs mark roads. Vehicles drive on the right. A license valid in the holder's country of origin is usually acceptable, if it has been held for at least one year. <BR> <BR>Car rental in Jordan is rather <BR>expensive, as taxes for imported cars are incredibly high. <BR> <BR>Those rented cars arranged by our tour operators are fully insured. In case of an accident, the customer shall inform the nearest police station within 24 hours and shall obtain a police report of the accident. Personal Liability in case of an accident will be 200 JD. Even if the accident was not your fault you might be charged: the other person might not be insured and may have no financal ressources. Or in case you donīt optain a police report. <BR>Personal liability of 200 JD can be avoided if you book a special insurance. <BR>for links of car rental companies visit <BR>http://www.mideasttravelnet.com/jte