Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Off on safari soon, anything you wish you had taken & didn't?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our first time on safari.......Is there something you wished you had packed but didn't?
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 07:11 AM

There was another thread, maybe 6-8/months back with the same title... try a "search" to see the comments.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 07:35 AM

Here ya go - lots of great info:

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...safarigoer.cfm
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 08:06 AM

>> Is there something you wished you had packed but didn't?

A time machine.

Time flies when U have fun.

J.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 06:10 PM

You are not the first person to ask that question.

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...sh-you-had.cfm
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 08:36 AM

You gals are great with these helpful links. I fail completely when searching... unless, of course, you've stored these as "favorites" I sure didn't! But do have a fairly good memory of what I've read somewhere along the way.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 01:02 PM

I'll skip all the referrals to past links and say that I've regretted not taking the e-mail addresses of friends. Given the slowness sometimes of mail service or the unavailability of postal cards to send or postage stamps or the epiphany that my friends might rather hear from me RIGHT NOW rather than weeks from now or the unexpected availability of the Internet on a rainy, do-nothing afternoon, I have finally learned to include a list of e-mail addresses in my passport case. ZZ
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 01:38 PM

Email addresses... goodness. The last thing I ever want when on holiday, anywhere, is mail of any sort.

I know some of you have to feel connected somehow at all times, but when I'm on safari/holiday, I'm also incommunicado. No one hears from me, nor do I want to hear from anyone.

It's called "freedom!"

But, to each their own!
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 06:18 PM

I wish I had not taken all those silly safari clothes!!! I just did not need them.

I know for some safaris they are necessary but not for the normal, drive around look at animals kinds of safaris.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 08:13 PM

Leanna now what silly safari clothes were those?

Wondering if any are on my packing list.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Leanna, Yes please tell us what are those clothes?????
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 07:28 AM

Newman605, you will love being on safari. I posted a review of my safari in 2009. Here's the link: http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...frica-trip.cfm

This is some of the info. I believe will be valuable for you:

Practical info: 1. Luggage storage. We left part of our luggage at the Federal Air locker. Perfectly safe. The Johannesburg airport also has luggage lockers in the lower level of the international terminal.
2. Malaria. We took Malarone (antimalarial drug); no side effects at all. In fact, did not see a single mosquito during our stay. I also bought Ultrathon mosquito cream from Magellan's just in case.
3. Winter garb. We stayed at Singita 8/27-31/09, which is the end of SA's winter. Although the mornings and evenings were very, very cold, by noon the temperature was in the high 80's. Therefore, it's important to take clothing you can layer. I would also recommend an insulated jacket for those people who, like us, are not used to cold weather.
4. Laundry. Since Singita has laundry service, you can also decide to take fewer clothes. I bought mesh packing cubes from Magellan's and they were a great investment. Clothes had much fewer wrinkles and I was able to easily pack my duffle for safari.
5. Binoculars. Take binoculars. I brought along Steiner Safari 10x26 which I bought thru Amazon. Singita does provide binoculars for guests.
6. Cameras. Take an extra camera. One of our cameras died during our trip and we were fortunate to have a back-up.
7. Memory cards. Take extra memory cards. We ran out of memory on one of our cameras and the Singita shop was out. Even though we thought we had enough memory, on safari there are so many things to see and record you just run out. However, Marianda burned the photos and videos onto a DVD for us. She even kept a copy of everything on her computer in case something happened to the DVD on transit.
8. Electricity converter plug. I didn't know that none of our converters would fit. SA electrical outlets are pretty unique and converter plugs were impossible for us to get. I tried in all of the airports and different shops we visited to no avail. We were fortunate that Singita provided various plugs in all guest rooms. In fact, I offered to purchase one of the plugs since we were going on to Cape Town after the safari. Marianda, however, was kind enough to give it to me as a gift (and for my next Singita trip). I have now found out that Amazon offers several options for SA electrical outlets.
9. Skype. In order to cut down on international call costs, I enrolled with Skype. I was able to call family and friends by using Singita's wi-fi and dialing thru Skype.
10. Tipping. There is no formal source of information on tipping in SA. We tipped according to the level of service. For example, the porter who took care of us when we arrived brought a wheelchair for my mother, luggage cart, put all of the luggage on the cart, took us to the Intercontinental, etc. We tipped him R100 (about $15.00, which is a lot of money per SA standards). Bellmen should be tipped about R10 per bag. With rangers and trackers it's a bit more tricky. Since we were so happy with our ranger (he really went out of his way for Mom, accompanying us to our villa to help her along the way, etc.) we tipped him $100.00 per day. Most people tip a ranger approximately $25.00 per day. We gave our tracker $50.00 per day, as well as our butler.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 05:17 PM

Yes, regarding e-mail addresses, to each, her own. I have friends in various circumstances that prevent them from traveling abroad to such wonderful destinations as Africa, but who enjoy my experiences vicariously as much as I. It gives me great pleasure to share with them what I'm learning. My messages are not ego-centric recountings of "I did this" or "I did that," but ethnographic descriptions of people, places, and living styles. ZZ

P.S. I don't carry a camera and could care less about Skype. To each, her own. ZZ
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 05:35 PM

Duct tape, dental floss and a needle (for the dental floss). Gloves and earmuffs. Extra glasses/contacts.

Much less clothing. Much, much less.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 06:23 PM

Oh lord....I had every thing in beige, hiking boots, etc etc. You know the entire Deborah Kerr wardrobe!!! All I was lacking was Stewart Granger!

I ended up in my sandals and my pants rolled up to capri length and nobody cared what color I was. To the animals I did not exist as I was in a box. (truck) I never saw a teetsi fly or a mosquito, and the only crawly thing I saw on that trip was a really neat lizard.

On my 2nd trip I packed like I wanted to....and was just fine.

It is true there are all these fabulous people who really know how to wash your clothes and since all mine come from Walmart anyway....they make them look like a million dollars!! So you can indeed pack light!

But if you are walking and gorilla hiking and all that then the needs would be very diff. Then you would need machetes, pith helmets and boots!
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 07:01 PM

Here's the information regarding tipping we received from our in-country SA travel agent:

Remember that in SA you only pay gratuities if you are satisfied with the service received! Here are some guidelines:

Restaurant(waiter) 10%

Driver R10 – R20, depending on distance

Porter R10

Ranger R100 per day

Tracker R50 per day
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 05:01 AM

It all depends on the type of safari you're on. If you're out at 6am and again at 4pm on an open jeep, then a warm hat covering your ears and good gloves are essential. Then there are layers of warm air trapping clothes and a good outer coat. Even when the temperature is warm, 20 or 30 mph in an open jeep makes it feel quite cool.

If you're on a much later (in the day) animal viewing trip, then in January?February in southern Africa, the weather will be very hot, so cool clothing needed.
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 06:19 AM

<b>7. Memory cards. Take extra memory cards. We ran out of memory on one of our cameras and the Singita shop was out. </b>
It is highly unlikely you will be able to buy a memory card on safari. Invest in another one or two so you won't be sorry. I brought another that I was certain I would never be used on my last trip. I used it.

I always have more than one camera too.
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 04:58 PM

extra memory cards should always brought on any trip-- not only to ensure that you have enough memory but also to make sure you have photos. It would be horrible to have one of your memory cards damaged or defective... in fact, professional photographers will switch memory cards during the course of photographing a given event to ensure that they got everything on multiple cards...
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 06:48 PM

I second the extra camera. And I know you're supposed to go on a safari to get unplugged, but I was THRILLED to have my Kindle - I was able to have access to many guidebooks and didn't have to agonize in advance about what I was going to read. There were four of us and we each read 2-4 books in 12 days...that would have been a lot of extra weight. We were also happy to have a small laptop to upload photos every night.

Not sure when you're going, but I was very happy to have warm (smartwool) socks. I also had two fleeces - a light and a heavy, and wore them both every day. You will need just two daytime outfits (layers - fleece, cashmere, silk underwear, tee, convertible pants, hat) and two nighttime outfits (jeans, sweaters, nice scarves, maybe a gortex rainjacket). No safari colors necessary at night - it is so dark that nobody can see you anyway. You will also want PJ's. There is shampoo everywhere, but you'll need conditioner.

We traveled with carry-on and I did a packing list on another thread. Will see if I can find it.

I wish we had brought more US cash because we went to several places where the coolest souvenirs were sold out of huts by local vendors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -