October weather in Joburg & Capetown??

Oct 8th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

October weather in Joburg & Capetown??

Everything is set for our trip to South Africa next week - then I realized that the weather may not be as tropical as some of the other places in Africa we've visited. I understand that it may be in the 60's F. and perhaps in the 70's F. in the cities and a bit cooler on the coast. Is this correct? I guess this translates to the 20's C. Does this mean that it's usually nice and sunny during the day and jacket weather in the evenings. We have no plans to spend time on the beaches, so I just want to bring warm clothing, if needed. Thanks, everyone. - Joan
Oct 8th, 2005, 01:28 PM
sandi

Joan -

We traveled end-Nov/begin-Dec and I equate that period to Memorial Day in NYC... and that was just what it was in CPT as was the bit of time we spent outdoors at the JNB airport. Seasonally changing. So, October would probably be April... also seasonally changing.

As with weather anywhere, who knows, but the temps you list give you a good range for planning. So be prepared with layers for the early part of the day and evenings. Peel off your jacket or sweatshirt or cardigan as the day goes along and heats up. And don't forget your socks if the dogs are sensitive to cool air.

You should be set.

If you're doing safari and if in open vehicles, remember to dress warmly as it can be downright cold in the mornings and returning from afternoon/evenings game drives... socks, gloves, hat, scarf, warm outer jacket/sweater. Though blankets are often provided in vehicles, I recommend you be safe and prepared with what will make you comforable.

Happy travels.

Oct 9th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

sandi -
Thanks for your help. I'm also thinking April/May in NYC might be about the right weather in S A in the next couple of weeks. I live near Atlanta, so it is always warmer here.
We're not going on safari this time, so packing clothing will ba a lot easier. Layering is really best - which we are used to doing here. - Joan
Oct 9th, 2005, 11:50 AM
sandi

Joan -

Yes, ATL is usually warmer than NYC during the spring, but then one never knows. As with travel worldwide, unless you know it's going to be sunny and hot or downright cold... layers, layers, layers. Glad to help.

Search this Thread