Search

October Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
October Itinerary

I think I'm close to finalizing operator and itinerary for 11 nights on the ground in late October 2007. Any thoughts or comments on the following:
Arrive Arusha - 1 night
2 nights Tarangire Safari Lodge
2 nights Kisima Ngeda Lake Eyasi
1 night Ngorongoro Serena Lodge
2 nights Suyan Camp
3 nights Sayari Camp

Thanks to all for the great info gleaned from this board.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 03:00 PM

2 nights Kisima Ngeda Lake Eyasi is for visits with Bushmen, right?

I have not stayed at these properties.

It looks good, interesting, not rushed. I think Oct is generally better for the Mara, but the later in Oct this, is the better. And you stated LATE Oct.

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks atravelynn,

That's the bit of encouragement I needed -an itinerary that is not too rushed. Yes, Lake Eysai is for the Hadzabe. We are trying to get to spots in the Serengeti where they frequently see wild dogs. If weather and the animals are with us, being north near the Mara River around October 30 could be grand.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 03:57 PM

You can't get much later than Oct 30. Good luck with the dogs! North of the Mara River should be good. I'm sure your trip will be outstanding regardless of the weather and which beasts decide to show up.

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 06:24 PM

We stayed at the Kisima Ngeda and it was lovely. My only wish was that we had stayed for more than one night. The food was the best we had throughout our entire 10 day safari and the owners are a lovely knowledgeble couple. We were also there in October so be prepared for the lake and surrounding area to be very dry.
A note about the bushmen: if you are planning on hunting with them know that the Bushmen will kill something. Not for the sensitive or for those of us that are animal lovers. Our bushmen caught a bird, and this was not done in one clean shot but rather 4. i cannot imagine how i would have felt if they had caught the monkey they were after. However having said all this, they hunt because this is how they survive. And I am very glad I got to meet these wonderful, kind hearted bushmen. It was one of the highlights of my trip.
Enjoy your trip at Lake Eyasi. I sure did.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reminder that it is a "hunting" trip. Maybe I'll think carefully about actually going with them when the time comes but it does sound like an amazing experience. Glad that we are able to spend 2 nights based on your comments.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 07:41 AM

Admitteldy, I might be biased because of living and working in Tanzania, but it's a misconception that the Migration is ONLY in Kenya in September/October (well marketed by Kenya though!). There is Migration in the Mara in this time of year, but certainly also on the Tanzanian side of the Mara River. The big advantage is that on the Tanzania side you will find a lot less camps and vehicles. Sayari Camp is well positioned to see the Migration and if lucky Mara River crossings. I think you'll love it there.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Bastiaan,

That concurs with my research and decision to visit that area late Oct/early Nov. Thanks for the validation
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 04:24 PM

Queen: you may already know this but Suyan Camp has a northern and southern location. The dogs have been frequenting the southern location (Piaya) but I'm guessing at that time of year camp may be at the northern location? They may well be able to take you to the southern location on drives or remote camping if the dogs are in that area but I thought it was worth mentioning so you can check and make sure you have a good plan in place.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

After months of research, countless internet searches and sleepness nights, airline tickets are finally purchased and this is the itinerary leaving EWR October 23 on KLM:

Arrive Arusha - 1 night
2 nights Tarangire Safari Lodge
2 nights Kisima Ngeda Lake Eyasi
1 night Plantation lodge
1 night Ngorongoro Serena Lodge
2 nights Suyan Camp
3 nights Sayari Camp

Predator: I know the Asilia camps move and hopefully they will know where the dogs are when we get there. Their camps seem to be in amazing locations. Looking forward seeing them in person. October can't get here soon enough. Will have to live vicariously thru other's trip reports till then.