Oberoi Philea Cruise Ship Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 4 ladies - in our 40' and 50's - planning a trip to Egypt for February. I know that Oberoi is a good cruise line - I've gone to their web site and tried to find cruise reviews but I haven't found the answer to my question. One of our ladies really enjoys a bath instead of a shower. Our cruise this year in China did have small bathtubs/showers. Can any of you who have been on the Oberoi Philea tell me if there are tubs? Also - are the meals all buffet or are there some where you can order from the menu? We'd love to hear anything about the cruise from those of you who have taken it. Thanks
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:11 AM

Unlike cruise ships we associate with the Carib or Med, the Nile boats are much much smaller... maybe for 100/paxs only. While the cabins are nice and more than ample, of those I've seen that did have tubs (can't comment specifically on the Philae) you could not lay out.

I also prefer a bath to a shower, but even the showers aren't what we associate with home or a hotel. For the 3 or 4/days... I suffer thru showers. The cruising is well worth this small inconvenience.

Meals tend to be buffets, but as I recall, you can order off a menu for some meals. If you don't get specific replies here, I'd contact Oberoi directly. If you're in the States, they do have an 800#.

Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:30 PM

We were on one of the Philae boats in Feb. 2004, and no bathtubs, just showers that ran over sometimes. I would look for a boat with a cabin porch. This looked lovely on other boats, instead of climbing up to the top deck all the time. Food was fine except for the Egyptian feast. Most people got sick from it. I'm not adventurous in food, so I was OK.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:08 PM

While I have never been on this ship, I have been to the Oberoi Mauritius, Oberoi Vanyavilas, Oberoi Agravilas, and Oberoi in Jaipur. All four were amazing! The service with this resort chain is top notch...definitely better than a four seasons or ritz carlton.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 03:52 AM

Dr. Andrea's listing are of hotels in India, but all Oberoi properties. Not quite the same as the Nile cruise boats. This would be comparing apples-to-oranges. But Oberoi, especially their Philae, is one of the best that cruises the Nile.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 01:47 PM

We are going on a four night cruise on the M/S Oberoi Philae in December - if you can wait that long we can let you have some feedback. Most of the cabins have showers but the suites do have baths - whether they are the kind for a lovely long soak I'm not sure! The word buffet does feature quite a lot in our itinerary as far as lunch is concerned - I am not sure what the set up is for dinner. We are also staying at the Mena House Oberoi in Cairo - since finding out about the amount of renovations going on I am not so sure we made the right choice- again if you can wait we can provide some feedback.