OATTRAVEL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OATTRAVEL

Hi there, I am wondering what people think of OATTRAVEL; their prices are very inexpensive and I wonder about the quality of the guides, the safari vehicles and the accommodations. Any feedback would be most welcome. Thanks.. This would be for travel to Tanzania
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 11:08 AM

Although I have not done the trip to Tanzania, I have taken 3 OAT trips (Japan, Egypt and Morocco)and I know people who have taken many more.
I love the small group travel, the guides are exceptional, the value is incredible and there is always enough free time.
Accommodations are decent. I would not hesitate to take one of their trips.
There is always a trade-off when traveling with an organized group, but I think in the case of OAT, it is well worth it.
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 02:14 PM

Some past discussions:

actually gone—East Africa by Ann NYC
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34897294 report
http://www.winkflash.com/photo/publi...?u=ajennerjahn pics

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...a-gorillas.cfm

OAT and timing the migration
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=35120290

Packing, baggage, money exchange, tipping with OAT
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=35097205

In general

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...4&tid=34954868

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...4&tid=34960960

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34828547
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

thank you both; after a little more research I've decided the Oat trip is not for me. I want to spend way more time in each destination than they offer. Oh well.... I think I just will go on my own..
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 03:48 AM

Prefer independent self guided travel.

OAT mixed reviews at best

if a newbie on budget www.tucantravel.com is good

#1 in UK for Africa good down there for budget group travel.

Happy Hunting,
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

thanks qwovadis, will check them out
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 07:10 AM

Tucan Travel doesn't have anything remotely comparable to the OAT Tanzania safari. They mostly have lengthy overland trips or Zanzibar beach trips with a few days of safari thrown in.
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 05:38 PM

I'll be interested in your findings for solo Tanzania, Bushwoman2002.

One option that might be of interest to you is Flycatchers. Their trips focus on the Serengeti and Southern Tanzania. Since Southern Tanz tends to be expensive, especially as a solo, this can be a good option. I've got a Sept trip with them as a solo joining a group departure.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 07:16 AM

Sounds interesting, Lynn! Serengeti, Katavi, elsewhere? Their Katavi camp was fairly basic, from what I could see, but located near Foxes's camp.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 09:25 AM

Serengeti, Mahale, Katavi with Flycatchers. It was a hard decision to skip Ruaha, which could be easily included too on their itinerary. But I thought I could do a Ruaha-Selous combo at some point in the future with some luck, maybe with Zanzibar.

I'm working on a pre-Flycatcher day in Arusha and a post-Flycatcher trip to Tarangire right now with Kiliwarriors, who have been my liaison with Flycatchers. Going direct with Flycatchers did not work out well for me, but from the cost breakdown I am doing at least as well using Kiliwarriors as my go-between with Flycatchers.

I think all of the Flycatcher camps are pretty basic, but it seems their Serengeti, Mahale, and Katavi camps (the places I am going to and investigated) are well located. To me that's most important.

So if the rest of these details look interesting to you Bushwoman2002, maybe you'd like to join the Flycatcher group if there is an open spot.

I know you just went to those locations, Shaytay, but if you wanted a return, you could go too.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 02:24 PM

Be aware, Lynn, that we were at Katavi and Mahale in September and the camp managers at both camps said that the wildlife was better in August. By September in Katavi, the big herds moved further out on the plains and there are no roads out to that area. Even "Paradise" didn't have a lot of wildlife, to the point that the guide was apologizing for the unusual lack of animals. I think if I went back, I'd go in August. Mahale was good, I thought. We were at Kungwe and had chimps in our camp twice in three days. The folks from Flycatchers and Greystoke were motoring in to see them. It seems that Kungwe had one of their favorite fruit trees for that time of year.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 03:45 PM

I remember your comments from when you went. That year was exceptionally dry as I recall, which might have had an impact.

I'll be there early to mid-Sept and will just see what happens. Thanks for the info, ShayTay!
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 05:01 AM

Indeed, it most likely did. You never know how things will turn out. Be prepared for all those tsetse flies in Katavi (if that's possible!) I think you'll still have a great time there. We found ourselves being disappointed if there was any other vehicle at "our" sightings... definitely a wonderful, remote park. The Mahale camps seem to cooperate fairly well on sightings. Even though you only have an hour with the chimps, they always seemed to show up on our treks into and out of the mountains, which afforded additional sightings.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

I am now going in October and hope to see a lot of game. Definitely going to the crater, Tarangire, and around the Serengeti to several locales. Still don't have someone I'm booked with, but I will get there. Thanks for the flycathers suggestion.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 03:59 PM

ShayTay, I think the chimps were doing there own viewing.

Bushwoman, looks good. In Oct, I think you'd want to be way north in the Serengeti to see any herds that are returning from the Mara. Central Serengeti is always good.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 03:00 AM

Bushwoman, I agree with Atravelynn... northern Serengeti in October. You can split your time between the northern and central areas, flying back to Arusha from the central Seronera area.

Atravelynn, I think you're right about the chimps. They were all peacefully grooming, when the alpha male started a ruckus and "tagged" one of our ladies behind the knee when he ran by... "Tag, you're it!" with a chimp!
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

I have decided to go with Bushcamptanzania; they have been very responsive and forthcoming with info as well as a great price quote....Now I am thinking of hopping over to Zanzibar to check out Stone Town.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 05:13 PM

If you feel like it, why not post the BushCampTanzania itinerary, which areas visiting, # of days at each, lodges/camps staying at,etc.
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 06:17 AM

My favorite Zanzibar guide is now in business with his brother as "Indoma Tours": http://www.indomatours.com/indomatours/index.html If you can get Masoud Salim to be your guide there or have his company put together a Zanzibar extension for you, you'll be in good hands. Masoud is one of Africa's new young leaders and may just realize his goal of one day being the president of Zanzibar. He's already visited the US White House as part of a young African leaders forum.