Oasis info, sandstorm question

Jan 21st, 2000, 05:43 PM
Betty

Oasis info, sandstorm question

We are 3 middle-aged women travelling to Egypt in March. We would like to visit an Oasis. How would we arrange this from Cairo, and what time frame would be expected? Are there dangers in travelling in the desert that would influence the choice of a guide.

Also, I have heard that there are high winds and sandstorms during certain months. Is March a bad time to plan desert travel for this reason?

Jan 23rd, 2000, 05:40 AM
Louise

Betty - if you go to the top of the page and type in "sandstorms" under text search and then Africa you will have an answer.

Jan 23rd, 2000, 05:42 AM
Louise

Oops - I should have said Egypt.

Jan 25th, 2000, 07:59 AM
cb

Our tour in March,1998, took us to Al-Faiyum oasis on a day trip from Cairo. You're probably thinking of a more remote oasis. We used Sakkara tours in Cairo; I don't have their address. Our guide was Hala Abd El Salam and her address is 5 Ramez St, Mohandseen, Egypt. I imagine any travel agent that deals with Egypt may be able to make arrangements for you.

In the 2 weeks we were there, we had 1 day of sandstorm which was bad. The swimming pool at our Cairo Hotel (Mena house) was closed and covered due to these storms which I understand is common in March.

Search this Thread