Search

Hotels in Cairo/Suez Canal

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 01:51 PM
kelly

Hotels in Cairo/Suez Canal

Am visiting Cairo late next week and am looking for a hotel. Can anyone recommend the Marriott, Nile Hilton, Sheraton El Gezirah or the Semiramis Interncontinental? Also, is a day trip to the Suez Canal or Alexandria worthwhile?

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 06:39 PM
Kelly

&gt;Marriott, Nile Hilton, Sheraton El Gezirah or the Semiramis Interncontinental?&lt; <BR> <BR>Kelly, the Marriott is beautiful, so is the Sheraton (the lunch buffet was outstanding - I think one of the groaning tables had 100 different preparations of eggplant - but maybe I exaggerate a little). <BR> <BR>Enjoy <BR> <BR>Ro

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 05:24 PM
Annette

I stayed at (November 1999) and recommend the Semiramis Intercontinental. Service is efficient -amazingly so for Cairo, location is perfect, rooms are newly renovated, and restaurants are excellent. I particularly recommend the Felucca Brasserie, which has a terrific Middle Eastern buffet - tons of choices and a dessert selection from heaven - in a nice atmosphere with a pleasant, not-too-loud trio of musicians. found it more appealing than the hotel's fancier Grill Room, which was just a large, formal restaurant with not-very-interesting "Continental" food. <BR> <BR>I didn't stay at the Nile Hilton, but roamed around the lobby and public rooms. It looked as if it would be a good place to stay. The Marriot, which I also looked at, seemed too far away from the center of things. It is on the wrong side of the river for someone staying in Cairo for just a day or so. I saw only the public rooms, and they did not seem as splendid as I had been led to believe. The Nile Hilton and Semiramis seemed to have a more exciting "buzz" about them. <BR> <BR>My time in Cairo was split - two days each downtown and at the pyramids. One place I would NOT recommend is Le Meridian Pyramids. The pyramids are too far away to see clearly, especially with Cairo's smog; in contrast, at the nearby Mena House, you seem to be right next to them. In fairness, the Meridian's rooms are nicely decorated and the lobby is OK, but the hotel is overpriced and the food is just awful. The buffet breakfast was the most unappetizing I've seen and a late dinner in the steakhouse restaurant was not much better. Some of the desserts were older than the pyramids. If you can't get into the Mena House, Le Meridian Pyramids is a very poor substitute. You might as well stay at one of the cheaper pyramids area places. <BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 09:48 AM
Bill

Try the Conrad hilton - the hotel is 8 month old and is looking for business. we got an excellent rate and it is downtown. Ask for a pool/nile view. <BR>Look for Wael on the concierge desk and he will treat you like family and take care of your plans-buying tickets for train to Alexandria. Good for an overnite. Get a Mediteranean view.

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 07:42 AM
cb

On our day trip to Alexandria, we went to see Citadel of Qaitbay (medieval fort built on the foundations of the Pharos lighthouse), Pompey's pillar, Kom El-Shuqafa (Roman catacombs that blend Egyptian and Roman art), and the city. I found the trip worthwhile. Also, on the road from Cairo are interesting tall cone-shaped pigeon houses; watch for them.