Oasis Hotel in Cairo?

Jan 23rd, 2000, 08:45 AM
Trudi

Oasis Hotel in Cairo?

We are planning our trip to Egypt and comparing Tour Operators and independent sidetrips. One Operator that seems to offer the package we want uses the Oasis Hotel in Cairo. Does anyone have a comment about this hotel or its location. Thanks.

Mar 31st, 2000, 10:45 PM
Alice

Hi, Trudi. I stayed at the Oasis this past January with Trafalgar Tours (actually done be Spring Tours in Egypt). The hotel lobby was undergoing a renovation so should look spectacular. The first room I was shown to reeked of insect spray and I could see shoe tracks on the tile of the bathroom. Gagging I made my way to the phone and asked to be moved which they did to a room closer to the front. It was great. You have to see this hotel to believe it. The grounds look like something out of a botonical garden. I actually picked up tangerines from under a tree for an afternoon snack. Each room is like a private bungalow although hooked together. All single level and very convenient for someone with a physical disability. They're only a couple of miles from the Pyramids, but quite a distance from downtown Cairo. They do though provide a free shuttle to downtown around the Museum area. The restaurant food is mediocre. Just down the rode not far from the Mena House is the Felfella Restaurant which has the best food I ate while in Cairo. Several other ladies in my tour group made this our evening stop. And do try the sheesha (water pipe). We shared one. I don't know who had the most fun, us or the wait staff laughing at our attempts to smoke the thing.
Anyway, back to the Oasis. It is truly a joy especially after the noise and fumes of downtown Cairo. Just remember, if you get a room you're not happy with request a better one. Happy Touring

Search this Thread