Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   O.K., I'm Going Back! (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/o-k-im-going-back-609606/)

matnikstym Apr 21st, 2006 07:04 PM

O.K., I'm Going Back!

Before leaving on my second trip to Zambia in March, I noticed a package deal from Luxury Link that was too good to pass up, so click, win, pay and I have another trip in the works. I figured I might not like the Emerald Season and would not be happy waiting 18 months to return to Africa, so I had to have a back-up plan! Since my return 3 weeks ago, Julian from Destiny Africa has been working on an extension of the 5 night Luxury Link package. Here's the itinerary:
October 25: Hilo Hawaii to SFO
October 26: SFO to London to Johannesburg flying Virgin Atlantic
October 28: Johannesburg to Livingstone, cross over to Zimbabwe, Overnight at Ilala Lodge or The Kingdom
October 29: Road/boat transfer for 2 nights at Ntwala Island Lodge, Namibia
October 31: Road/boat transfer for 3 nights Susuwe Island Lodge, Namibia
November 3: Fly to Kasane, then road transfer to Victoria Falls. Fly to Somalisa Camp, Hwange National Park, Zimbabwe 4 nights (possible rhino and dog sightings)
November 7: Fly to Victoria Falls and overnight at Victoria Falls Hotel
November 8: Fly to Johannesburg, London and SFO
November 11 Return to Hilo, Hawaii
Hopefully, that will satisfy my hunger for Africa for at least a year. 3 trips in 13 months is proving detrimental to my savings!
Here's the lodges:
www.islandsinafrica.com (Ntwala, Susuwe)
www.africanbushcamps.com (Somalisa)
Aloha,
Dennis :)

santharamhari Apr 21st, 2006 07:49 PM

Dennis,

Trip looks great.....must be great living in Hawaii, my only problem would be........it's so farrrrrrrrrr from AFRICA!!!

Here's a suggestion for a further extension for the trip. Since you pass thru Kasane, how about one of the linyanti/savute/Kwando camps in Botswana? That time of the year should be spectacular!!! (sound tempting?)

cheers
Hari

matnikstym Apr 21st, 2006 08:02 PM

Hari, I originally was going to go to the Kwando camps, but had to cut back this trip (time and money) but it may be in the works for 2007!

cooncat2 Apr 22nd, 2006 06:34 AM

Wow, you go, Dennis! What was the Luxury Link package? I can't keep up with you!

((@))

bat Apr 22nd, 2006 06:47 AM

Congrats Dennis. 3 times in 13 months--quite impressive!

thit_cho Apr 22nd, 2006 07:51 AM

Dennis, great itinerary. Do you spend anytime in Chobe when you're at the two Namibia lodges? Chobe is a great park with a tremendous amount of animals -- yes, it gets a lot of visitors, but the wildlife more than offsets that. And the safari-cruises are an excellent way to see hippo, crocs and elephant. Looks like a real nice trip.

Michael

matnikstym Apr 22nd, 2006 10:35 AM

((@)) the Luxury Link package was through Islands In Africa. On their webpage it's called "The Elephant Route"
Ntwala is water based activities: boat, mekoro and has private guide and plunge pool, Susuwe is land based, or can cruise the river, private plunge pool.
All inclusive. Included all transportation from Vic Falls including flight back to Kasane. I got it less than 1/2 price (from their webpage price)
Michael- thanks, sounds like we drive through Chobe to get to/from camps and there are river options from the camps.

Patty Apr 22nd, 2006 11:08 AM

Congrats on your winning LL bid and another return trip to Africa, Dennis!

sandi Apr 22nd, 2006 02:38 PM

Dennis -

You're too much.
... you've sure been bitten!

Great itinerary.

atravelynn Apr 22nd, 2006 07:33 PM

Don't even unpack between trips. Congrats on winning the auction!