Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Nyama made it into Travel Africa... (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/nyama-made-it-into-travel-africa-754818/)

nyama Dec 25th, 2007 02:17 PM

Nyama made it into Travel Africa...

...and I didn't know about it.

While reading about Sir Ranulph Fiennes adventures in Zim in the latest edition of Travel Africa (#41) I looked at the advertisement of African Bush Camps and - what a surprise - found a picture showing my travel bag and me in the center of the ad. I guess the owners owe me some free drinks now...

HariS Dec 25th, 2007 05:13 PM

I will get a copy at the JNB airport when i get there ..... what month December 2007 issue?

nyama Dec 25th, 2007 06:36 PM

Hari, Winter 2007/8 Edition, with a Maasai moran on the cover (but only 1 cheetah photo inside).

Btw, apparently Sir Ranulph got the same impression in Zim as I.

Quote: "There's this idea... that by coming to Zimbabwe, you're supporting the regime and putting yourself in danger, and it's simply not true. By staying away from Zimbabwe, all you're doing is making things even harder for all the people involved in tourism and conservation here, and depriving yourself of a fantastic time. I'll be back next year, assuming nothing goes wrong on Everest."

HariS Dec 25th, 2007 06:59 PM

Thanks, Nyama ..... will look out for the magazine in the JNB bookshop. RE the cheetah .... i hope to see one on safari rather than in the book. ;)

afrigalah Dec 25th, 2007 07:07 PM

Free drinks, certainly, if they didn't get a model release from you, nyama ;) Some model D)

nyama Dec 25th, 2007 07:21 PM

John, that's really a big nose... D) :D

This reminds me that Frans Lanting once made some pictures of me at the bar of Kaingo Camp. Hmm, these pictures were never published by NG - I wonder why... :?

Nyamera Dec 26th, 2007 03:19 AM

Nyama, I would have noticed the photo if it wasn’t because I haven’t had time to read even the first issue I got of Travel Africa after subscribing and this one is the third! The bag looks nice, but you yourself look a bit blurry.Why?

nyama Dec 26th, 2007 08:13 AM

Nyamera -- I'm always a bit 'blurry' in the early morning... but this advertisement is about safari camps, and not people. Maybe my travel bag is meant as a symbol for the 'culture' they mention in the text...

(I'll send you an unblurred version by mail.)

atravelynn Jan 1st, 2008 02:27 PM

Modeling in Africa. What a life!

Leely Jan 1st, 2008 03:51 PM

Lynn, didn't you know that's how we're all financing our trips? With our modeling?

Congrats to Nyama. I hope the agents start beating down your door soon!

nyama Jan 1st, 2008 06:03 PM

Leely -- I'm afraid the agents won't come... as Nyamera already said, I'm a bit blurry on that photo. Maybe they will be after my 'authentic' travel bag...

Btw, the photo was published without my knowledge, and I have mixed feelings about all this. At some camps they have a special clause in the indemnity form that allows the operator to publish such pictures if you sign the form. But I can't remember signing such clause at this special camp... this is definitively not good style!

nyama Jan 4th, 2008 09:13 PM

Well, I got a mail from the operator - and I'll get my free drinks. Operator's quote: "your bag fits perfectly, and the photo is a classic". I guess my travel bag is now the most famous bag on Fodors. Here's the original picture, www.bums-aus.de/published/NyamasBag.jpeg.

Nyamera Jan 6th, 2008 07:51 AM

Congratulations! Where can I get a bag like that?

nyama Jan 6th, 2008 09:16 AM

South Africa: www.melvillandmoon.com
Holland: www.melvillandmoon.org
Germany: www.melvillandmoon.biz

Leely Jan 6th, 2008 09:24 AM

That <i>is</i> a nice bag.

Someday I will have been on enough safaris that my ratty old duffels will fall apart and I will replace them with something photo-worthy.

Nyamera Jan 6th, 2008 10:03 AM

The bag is worth every penny if it gives you modelling jobs in Africa. I’d photograph it myself if I saw one.

Nyamera Jan 6th, 2008 10:04 AM

I did go swimming this afternoon.