NWA/KLM booking update

Jun 18th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

NWA/KLM booking update

After days of attempting to book my Amsterdam to Kili flight online - only to repeatly get the "Currently Not Available" message - I called the 800#. When I finally got thru to a representative and expained the situation, she told me she could assign my seat for a $15 charge, or I could do it online. I, then, ever so sweetly repeated that I'd been trying to do just that for days; that it was unfair of NWA to penalize customers (by charging them $15) for problems it was having with its website; and that there were quite a few of us on the FODOR'S MESSAGE BOARD (I'm sure that put the fear of God into her....) who were extremely dissatisfied with the current situation. I asked to speak to a superviser. She put me on hold. When she came back she told me that NWA will waive the $15 fee for anyone needing to make a reservation over the phone due to this website error. She immediately gave me a seat assignment for free. Hope this helps! 1.800.225.2525
Jun 18th, 2008, 09:34 AM

As far as I know, you can't reserve seats on KL operated flights through the NW website as they use two different systems.
Jun 18th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

I guess ignorance (and being polite) is bliss because I now have my seat assignment. All I knew was that I was able to make online arrangements for seats for my first two flights but not for the third. I had no idea the systems weren't integrated. I'm bad I guess...
Jun 18th, 2008, 10:30 AM

I remember a similar situation on our last trip with the NWA rep telling me it could not be done except for a fee. I was at work at the time & had to end the call with no solution so later when I got home I called again & was ready to do as you did but the rep I got this time just did everything for me no questions & no fee!
Jun 18th, 2008, 04:00 PM

I guess you can book your NWA seats online, but have to call NWA for the KLM seat assignment. They didn't try to charge me for booking my KLM seat, thank goodness! Yes, politeness goes a long way. As Aknards did, always go up the line if you aren't getting results. I've found that asking if the person I'm talking to has the authority to do what I want is a good idea. They may not, so I escalate it until I find the person that does.
Jun 18th, 2008, 04:05 PM

If I recall correctly there were several people who pushed to have NWA give them assigned seats on this flight and eventually got them, then found that KLM didn't honor this when they got to AMS. They were given less desirable seating assignments in Amsterdam.

So don't celebrate just yet ...

Bill
Jun 18th, 2008, 06:29 PM

We had the same trouble booking the Europe-Africa part of our trip with American/Iberia last year. Thought we had seats, then got to Madrid and they didn't have seat assignments to Joburg because "the systems don't talk to each other." Same problem coming home. Pretty inexcusable since the airlines hype their partnerships.
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:44 PM

I'm getting ready to book seats in a couple weeks and I spoke with KLM directly who said they could book my seats for the KLM flights. I think I feel better booking seats directly with KLM just in the event something happens with NW computers vs. KLM computers. I went to the KLM web site and put in my Northwest e-ticket number and it does come up with my itinerary so that's reassuring. I'm not sure if it will make a difference or not...
Jun 19th, 2008, 05:58 AM

Carrie, we've had no problems when we were able to book the seat assignments directly via KLM, so I think you're fine.

Jul 31st, 2008, 06:04 AM

To revive an old thread here because it might be of interest to others trying to book seats, I was finally able to get all my seats except the last one (I should be able to do that tonight).

I have to tell you that, indeed, Northwest and KLM's computers do not talk to each other. I contacted KLM to get my seat for the Amsterdam to JRO part of the trip and they put me in seat 22F. This seat actually appeared on NWA.com as the seat I was in.

However, I called NWA.com about other seats and they said, "What about your seat from Amsterdam to Kilimanjaro? Don't you want a seat for that too?" I explained that I already had a seat and that it was even appearing on their web site. The agent said, no, that there was no seat assigned for me in their database for that flight and that 22F was still showing as open. Needless to say I asked her to put me in that seat in her database!

Just wanted to let you know that you might want to confirm your seats with both airlines if you are concerned at all about getting an aisle or window seat as opposed to a middle….

Carrie
Jul 31st, 2008, 09:39 AM

We booked the KLM flight through Martinair, which is partially owned by KLM - great rates and they put us on the nonstop flight from Miami to Amsterdam, instead of having to fly through Detroit or Minneapolis, as KLM wanted us to do. They also put us on the nonstop Amsterdam to Kilimanjaro flight.
Martinair could only reserve the seats for their flights, Miami to Amsterdam, but the rep told me to call KLM within 90 days of the flight and book seats for the Amsterdam-Tanzania portion. I did so, with no problems and no extra charges.
Try to get seat assignments, as KLM overbooks the Tanzania flight and you have less chance of being bumped if you have a confirmed seat.
Jul 31st, 2008, 09:39 AM

If I recall correctly there were several people who pushed to have NWA give them assigned seats on this flight and eventually got them, then found that KLM didn't honor this when they got to AMS.

All of the KL seat assignments I've made through NW have stuck. All of my KL segments also had KL flight numbers, so I don't know if there are any particular issues with KL segments which have NW flight numbers (sometimes codeshares can create complications when it comes to seat assignments). That said, it's not unknown for KL to change your seat assignments regardless of whether they were assigned by NW or KL.
Jul 31st, 2008, 02:05 PM

Anyone care to post which number they call to select seats on KLM? I do not mind calling international if I need to. I am not able to select seats on a KLM flight in September from Chicago - Lagos, Nigeria. I can not select any of the legs. ORD - AMS and AMS - Lagos. The return flight is on Lufthansa and UA, and the seats have been selected and assigned.

I bought this ticket via Orbitz.
Jul 31st, 2008, 03:19 PM

I am not able to select seats on a KLM flight in September from Chicago - Lagos, Nigeria. I can not select any of the legs.

How have you been trying to select the seats?

I just call NW reservations 1-800-225-2525.

Aug 1st, 2008, 05:30 AM

mrcamp:

The number for KLM is +31-20-4 747
747 (24 hours a day).

You can also try e-mailing them - they usually respond in a day. If you go their web site, you can e-mail them with a "special request" and let them know what seat you want. I called once and e-mailed once and in both cases they assigned a seat.
Aug 1st, 2008, 08:58 AM

If anyone feels like experimenting, try entering your KL/Amadeus record locator and last name under Manage Your Reservations on www.airfrance.us. I don't have any current reservations with KL segments or I'd try it.

If you don't have the Amadeus locator, try entering your ticket number after clicking "other search criteria". You should be able to pull up your KL flights as KL and AF use the same reservation system. I can pull up my upcoming AF flights on either klm.com or airfrance.us.

Anyway if you can pull up your flights on the AF site, see if you can select seats under Your Travel Preferences.
Aug 1st, 2008, 12:07 PM

Patty, that worked! I can see my KLM seats on there.
Aug 1st, 2008, 12:10 PM

Cool! Can you actually select seats too?
Aug 1st, 2008, 04:57 PM

Yes! I just went back and tried. It does let you select seats - fabulous! You are a genius! I'll remember that for next time. You need to use the KLM code - not the NWA code.
Aug 1st, 2008, 05:51 PM
JNG

Bookmarking!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO