NSEFU,ZAMBIA

Apr 19th, 2003, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

NSEFU,ZAMBIA

Nsefu is supposed to be the oldest lodge in the valley. Naturalist Norman Carr began it over 40 years ago and his granddaughter Miranda runs it now with the equally colourful British expatriat Huw Jones. Anyone have any feedback on this lodge? Thanks in advance.
Apr 19th, 2003, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

oops-started in the fifties and is it part of Popes' now?
Apr 20th, 2003, 12:22 AM

Patty,

I do know that it is about 65% more expensive than Kafunta and about 55% more expensive than Kaingo, two other highly regarded (but much lesser known) safari camps in the area.

I have a wonderful brochure from Robin Pope Safaris and it does look like a great place. If you visit Robin Pope Safaris website you will see available dates, rates, photos, etc.

www.robinpopesafaris.net

Other considerations in the area should also be:

www.luangwa.com (Kafunta Safaris)
www.kaingo.com (Shenton Safaris)
www.bushcampcompany.com (Bushcamp Company is about 5-10% less expensive than Robin Pope and is also widely known)

As you may already know, South Luangwa is famous for its walking safaris. I ultimately chose Kafunta for my upcoming safari this coming June because they seemed to be the most flexible with their game drives. While I cannot wait to do a game walk or two, I want the majority of my game viewing done for the safety of a vehicle and with my camera ready to shoot.

High season in South Luangwa seems to begin after June 01st and that is when prices go up.

I really liked the appearance of the Kafunta River Lodge better than ANY other lodge in South Luangwa including Robin Pope's and Bushcamp Company's. To view Kafunta River Lodge, go to:
http://www.luangwa.com/riverlodge.htm

Here are some guest comments about Kafunta:
http://www.luangwa.com/guestbook.htm

I will be posting a full report upon my return in late June.
Apr 20th, 2003, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Roccco-perhaps if I come to calif to visit with my son, you & I & clematis can have a fodorites get together and of course anyone else on this site who lives in calif. That would be great!

Search this Thread