Search

Best flights to egypt

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best flights to egypt

Does anyone know the best flights/route from Boston to Cairo?
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 12:44 AM

In general, one either flies to NYC and then non-stop to Cairo or flies to a European city from Boston and then on to Cairo - there are no non-stopps Boston to Cairo that I know of.

Your decision should factor in 2 things - cost and personal preference about length of time on one plane. JFK to Cairo is about 11 hours - but it is a night flight so if you can sleep, that may work. On the other hand, you may prefer 2 different 6-7 hour flights so you can walk around an airport to stretch your legs.

Also, most flights Boston to NYC go to LaGuardia. So you may have to change airports or fly on a smaller plane with less schedule flexibility to JFK.

We flew Boston to JFK on a 20 seat plane, had a 4 hour layover at JFK (the other alternative was a 1 hour connection that we did not feel was enough time) and then non-=stop to Cairo. It is a long trip no matter how you do it.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 03:17 AM

The Egyptair non-stops from JFK would be a fast and probably cheap way of doing it, otherwise look at a connection over Amsterdam ( NW/KL are close partners ) so maybe NW could give you a fare. Sorry don't know the Eurpean carriers into BOS but if either Lufthanda or Air France fly to BOS then they would be good options.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 10:08 AM

My mother-in-law flew Egypt Air from JFK-Cairo twice and had no problems.

I prefer to stop in Europe. There are several major choices....London (British Air), Paris (AirFrance), Amsterdam (KLM), Frankfurt (Lufthansa), or Vienna (Austrian Air).

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 05:03 PM

I flew Egyptair in March, to and from the US via JFK and also had several internal flights. Egyptair was on time on all of the flights and the crew couldn't have been nicer. It is probably the the most efficient way to get to Cairo.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 06:52 PM

We flew JFK to Cairo and return.
There was extra room on both flights so we had extra seats to stretch on.
We were late onreturn by over 1 hour so be careful with connections, and remember you have to clear customs in JFK before you change flights home.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the quick responses and suggestions.
Pezzhull, did you also fly Egypt Air?
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 02:51 AM

Yes we did fly Egypt Air. Our flight was late leaving Cairo for an unknown reason we were just late loading, it seemed the staff was late getting started because it was early am flight, plane was there etc (obviously there may have been other reasons).

Just beware that customs can be slow which you have to clear with your luggage before you can catch your next flight to wherever. We had 2 1/2 hours between flights which quickly evaporated with late flight, a very slow customs line, then we tried to find our flight (having not been to jfk before). We made it home but our luggage did not until 2 days later.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 10:49 AM

I flew Egyptian Air internally in Egypt a number of times. They cancelled one of my flights which inconvenienced me. The flights that did run that day were packed and late to take off. The Abu Simbel Airport was a mess.

One of the people from my travel agency told me that he was embarrassed that the airline carried the name "Egypt."

Aside from that, however, the airlines were clean inside, the personnel was nice & helpful. I like the way they loaded us -- they filled up a bus at a time to take us to the plane. It was first come, first serve for the buses. As a result, people were getting into their pre-assigned seats all over the plane. It went much more smoothly than the way the US planes load its passengers.