Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   November trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/november-trip-540607/)

harleyr Jun 30th, 2005 05:32 AM

November trip

I am in the process of planning a trip in November and while I understand it is the low/short rain season, does that mean it isn't worth going? I hate to go all that way to be disappointed. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Roccco Jun 30th, 2005 05:35 AM

Planning a trip to where? Africa is a very big continent, ya know?

harleyr Jun 30th, 2005 06:22 AM

Sorry...Kenya. Thought it would make sense if posted in the Kenya forum.

Roccco Jun 30th, 2005 06:34 AM

Oh...my bad...I wandered into the Kenya forum and did not even realize it! :)

ArthurSA Jun 30th, 2005 06:43 AM

Not just Africa, but also the Middle East! #-o

sandi Jun 30th, 2005 02:52 PM

Ok guys - funny aren't we!!!

harleyr -

It's an Africa forum, Africa is a continent and Africa has, on last count, 54 countries, so it helps if you mention the country/ies.

I prefer to travel in November and except for a recent trip end-May/early-June, November is still a good choice. Sure it's the "short" rain season, but we've never had but brief showers twice and maybe rain overnight once. But it's weather, so from year-to-year there are no guarantees.

What's great about November, especially in the Mara (which I find is good anytime) - the wildebeests, zebra and tommies have just finished one big meal - all that grass is gone. Therefore, it's very easy to spot animals.

Besides the Mara, Amboseli and Samburu are great, there are fewer tourists and less vehicles at animal sightings (though not none). And, at many properties prices might be lower as November to mid-December is a kind of "shoulder season."

You won't be disappointed. Do it!

Roccco Jun 30th, 2005 05:48 PM

Sandi,

Do you mean to tell me that Kenya is not, in and of itself, its own continent? Next, I suppose, someone is going to tell me that Mt. Kiliminjaro is not in Kenya! ;)

thit_cho Jun 30th, 2005 05:58 PM

Roccco, it used to be.

sandi Jul 1st, 2005 04:21 AM

Roccco and thit_cho -

Good morning to you also. You've both brought a smile to my face... what a wonderful way to wake up! This is such a great board.

Kavey Jul 1st, 2005 04:39 AM

To be fair, not that I want to ruin the fun...

When you make a new post, you are asked to select a country under which it will be filed.

Those of us who have been here a while understand that this is just to aid in using the search tool but new forum visitors don't always realise that the country they selected doesn't show in any way on their posted message.

Let's give Harley a little slack!

Harley, it's all a balancing act between likelihood of rain, how much you're willing to pay and what you most want to see.

I went at the beginning of April and we were lucky enough to have heavy rain each night but none during the day. It worked out very well.

But there are no guarantees!