Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   November in Tanzania (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/november-in-tanzania-891954/)

basto May 22nd, 2011 09:44 PM

November in Tanzania

Hello,

We are planning a mobile camping safari in Tanzania for november 2011, and would really appreciate some feedback on our proposed itinerary. Are we doing this the right way starting with Serengeti or should we do it some other way around?

Hiking in the Ngorongoro, has anybody tried that, what was your experience? Our aim with it is to get out of the car and really just enjoy beeing out on our own and see, smell and feel nature. We also have a day with the Hadzabe at Lake Eyasi which I have read quite a lot about, still a bit uncertain if this is right.

Our itinerary is:

>> dag 1: Serengeti (Seronera)
>> dag 2: Serengeti (Seronera)
>> dag 3: Serengeti (Lobo)
>> dag 4: Serengeti (Lobo)
>> dag 5: Serengeti (Ngorongoro)
>> dag 6: Ngorongoro-kratern
>> dag 7: Ngorongoro (Walking, Empakaai-crater, Olmoti-crater)
>> dag 8: Ngorongoro (Ilimisigiyo trail)
>> dag 9: Lake Eyasi ( visit Hadzabe)
>> dag 10: Tarangire
>> dag 11: Tarangire

The day before and after we will stay at Pamoja Expeditions Lodge in Arusha. Our operator is dahlsafaris, a small owner run safari company with a swedish owner living in Tanzania.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and comments.

/Tom

Jeniekrag May 23rd, 2011 03:51 AM

Seems great! I would definitely like to visit as early as possible.

atravelynn May 25th, 2011 07:45 PM

In Nov, I think I'd try to go to Lobo first, then central Serengeti. Don't know how that works with your mode of transportation. But 2 days one way or the other is no big deal.

Your goals for hiking in Ngorongoro will be met. I walked Olmoti crater. You'll have some scenic photo ops and perhaps some cultural interactions as well.

Hadzabe--I have only researched and not actually visited. Based on what I learned I decided not to visit. I learned that tourism to Lake Eyasi has resulted in the Hadzabe hunting and killing animals that are not used for food, just to show the hunting experience to tourists. I did not want to be part of a hunt of that nature. Don't know if your Hadzabe visit will include hunting with them or not.

basto May 26th, 2011 03:00 AM

Thanks Atravelynn for your very helpful response. We will be on a mobile camping so it should not be a problem to switch things around. We will also look into going perhaps to Northern Serengeti.

So, would you recommend us to hike to Olmoti? Is one day enough, or do we need more time?

Our trip to Hadzabe was supposed to include hunting with them, I was already a bit uncertain if the experience would be a good one for both parties, and this info certainly makes us less likely to go there. Will have to talk it through with our operator.

Once again, thanks for the help!

/Tom

sangeeta May 26th, 2011 07:27 AM

I've read that more often than not, they end up hunting squirrels with arrows - sounds quite horrible since I presume they don't eat those squirrels.

On another note, Tom, would you mind sharing your mobile operator information with us?

Except for that Hadzabe thing, your itinerary sounds quite wonderful.

atravelynn May 26th, 2011 08:22 AM

Basto, I'd love your mobile info too.

Of all the things I've done in Africa, the Olmati Crater day hike was one of the few things that was nice, but not amazing. Other hikes and walking safaris that I have done I enjoyed more. It's good to stretch your legs, but it was not too strenuous and we had some lovely views. We ran into several Maasai just doing their own thing, and that was probably the best part. I remember coming upon some young girls singing in a circle just for themselves, not for us.

I would not hike for more than one day given the length of your itinerary.

sandi May 26th, 2011 12:59 PM

If starting in the Serengeti, gather you are flying out where your guide/vehicle will meet you. Yes?

If so, as above, for November maybe start in the North (Lobo) and work your way south thru Seronera to Ngorongoro, Lake Eyasi and concluding at Tarangire.

If traveling later in November, maybe instead of Lake Eyasi, which trying to fit in with only 1/day will be very very hectic) on way south thru the Serengeti, stop at Ndutu (part of the Ngorongoro area, where the wildies "calve" their young in Feb)... this way you cover all bets as to where the herds might be. They do move and there is never any guarantee exactly where they can be found.

basto May 26th, 2011 11:02 PM

Thanks to you all for good advice!

I think the Hadzabe will go out of the trip, don´t want to be part of that and also it seems we will spend a bit to much time driving back and forth.

We are planning together with a company called Dahl tours and Safaris www.dahlsafaris.se. It is a local TZ firm mostly working on the swedish market. I think the owner is swedish but now working in TZ. We are four people and will travel with a guide and a chef. We will pay around 210-220 USD per night. Actually have to check if there will be a separate vehicle for the camp, or if we have everything with us.

We have talked about trying to get to Serengeti already the first day. It is perhaps a bit too much, we should perhaps break it up on the way out.

Thanks for the info on walking, we will cut it down to one day just to get a break, but not have to high expectations.

Thanks once again, really appreciate it.

cheers,
Tom

sangeeta May 27th, 2011 10:11 AM

Basto, thank you for the operator info. Tried looking at the site, but since almost all the information was in Swedish, it was hard figure out the tent specifics.

Do you know what sort of tents you'll be using on this trip? Are they dome tents with attached bathrooms, or are the facilities separate?

Also, do you have a choice of booking specific camp sites or do you have to use the ones they may already have booked for that particular location?

Thanks for giving us some more details.

Sangeeta

sandi May 28th, 2011 08:06 AM

Further to sangeeta's comments re type of tents, know there are "public" campsites where you share facilities with other safari goers (bathroom/showers), or staying on "special" campsites that are set-up just for your group. The latter is a bit more costly, but not by much. Inquire of your tour operator which/where.

You'll probably have two vehicle: one for your group of four (and luggage) with guide; the other for cook and gear - tents, food, cooking equipment etc. Again, inquire of your tour operator.

basto May 30th, 2011 12:18 AM

In our proposed itinerary we are scheduled for public campsites, we are trying to find special campsites instead and will see how that will impact the prices. Trying now to go to northern Serengeti aswell, cutting down the time in Ngorogoro and leaving Hadzabe out.

They use dome tents without attached bathrooms, so it´s quite a basic set up I guess...

Will come back when we get a new itinerary!

thanks,
Tom

pepnjak Jun 22nd, 2011 01:06 PM

I highly recommend contacting Superb Tours att: Benjamin.A very small company and detail to each clients needs and wants!They are one of the most reasonable companies I found when I was doing my research. They put back to the community a % of the cost you pay:orphanges,schools etc. If you mention my name Patti Pepelnjak he will help you the best he can! http://www.superbtoursandsafaris.com/

They also are very aware of helping the Maasi people,going into the Sarengeti we brought extra food we did not eat from our box lunches and we saved all of our water bottles and filled them up. The Maasi people outside of the Sarengeti have almost no access to water. We would stop as the children ran to the road and we would give them bits of food and water. We did not see any other company do this.

I can not say enough about them. Ask for Dennis if you need a guide!

Again mention my name:Patti Pepelnjak and direct your email to Benjamin.

It was our 40th anniversary when we went last year and when we first met, he came with a card and a bottle of sparkling juice.

The can work with you for any kind of lodging or experience you are looking for. Remember all of the guides and compnaies must travel the same roads and will see the same animals the day you are in the park. All of the guides work with each other when there is a spotting. Dennis is very well liked by the other guides and companies.

Hope they can help you!!

Have a great time!

basto Aug 31st, 2011 05:11 AM

Patti,

Thanks for your input. We are still working on this and are quite happy with our current operator. But thanks a lot for the suggestion!

cheers,
Tom