Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Northern Circuit tour company (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/northern-circuit-tour-company-1004618/)

deeppoweder970 Feb 1st, 2014 11:15 AM

Northern Circuit tour company

Hi,

So me and my sister are planning a safari for my Dad and his wife. Hes turning 70 and have always dreamed of going to Africa and we want to make it a reality. No we are not the best children in the world because he will still be fitting the bill but we want to have everything organized We are looking for a high end lodging, great locations and of course an amazing guide. Most likely a private tour will suit them best. Also I think smaller camps instead of large lodges are a better way way to enjoy there vacation. Just wondering what are some of the better tour companies to use. I have contacted Good Earth Tours because they seem to get good reviews. Any other companies to consider? Thanks in advance. Im sure I will have more detailed questions as we start to plan.

Thanks

sdb2 Feb 1st, 2014 12:13 PM

I liked Roy Safaris, whose sister company is the African Tulip, an excellent hotel choice in Arusha where the two can rest up before/after safari. Let them know what you want and ask for a quote. Good luck with the planning.

KathBC Feb 1st, 2014 03:19 PM

Warrior Trails organized my 2011 Northern Tanzanian safari. It was just me and a guide for 8 days. Wonderful!

Clamian Kitesho who owns Warrior Trails is a Maasai Warrior & he really knows his stuff.

http://www.warriortrails.com/

Cateyes555 Feb 1st, 2014 11:54 PM

I've traveled twice with Eben Safaris - first time to TZ northern circuit, then to Kenya and Rwanda. Eben can put together any level package you like and only does private tours. I've had a good experience working with him. You can click on my user name for my trip reports.

Ebensafaris.com

jgg Feb 2nd, 2014 02:57 PM

We have not gone yet, but have booked a high end Tanzania Safari with Naipenda Safaris (http://www.naipendasafaris.com/index1.html) for June. I did use a friend who is a travel agent and uses them a lot to book it, but I have also read excellent reviews of them, and Jo who is the contact here in the states. I believe you can contact her directly.

travelHTT Feb 5th, 2014 10:59 PM

For me I would recommend andBeyond properties for the Northern circuit. In the Ngorongoro area the temperatures are usually very cold, so camping is not recommended. Check out their:
&BEYOND LAKE MANYARA TREE LODGE
&BEYOND NGORONGORO CRATER LODGE
&BEYOND GRUMETI SERENGETI TENTED CAMP
&BEYOND KLEIN'S CAMP
&BEYOND SERENGETI UNDER CANVAS

atravelynn Feb 6th, 2014 08:34 AM

Has your most generous father shared what he is willing to spend on this trip? If it is substantial, the &Beyond suggestions directly above would provide magnificent accommodations (definitely high end, as you request) in beautiful locations for you. Depending on the time of year you are going, I might not include Kleins and instead add more time in Serengeti Under Canvas or choose a different tented camp. If going late June through Oct, I'd put in a few nights in Tarangire, a scenic location with large ele populations.

If and &Beyond itinerary is beyond your budget, many other options exist.

Cateyes and I seem to go on very similar trips. I have used Eben 2x also. Everything was great. He mainly does flying safaris, which have the advantage of getting you to your destinations in the least amount of time.

My next trip is with The Wild Source in Colorado and is all driving, which is less costly, especially for several people.

sandi Feb 7th, 2014 10:36 AM

As Lynn above, check with dad his actual budget. Those andBeyond* properties, will cost him at minimum $700/person nt and the one at the Crater is closer to $1500/person nt. And the distance between most of these will require small plane flights that further add to the bill.

Nice of the kids :) to plan but know how much $$$ you have to spend.

*andBeyond does not use the ampersand (&) in their name/logo as A&K sued them for trying to do so.

ShayTay Feb 7th, 2014 04:09 PM

I use The Wild Source for Tanzania (Bill Given; headquartered in Colorado.) They also have their own outfitting company in Tanzania and his partner there is Deo Magoye, one of the best guides in Tanzania. Also, Bill is a wildlife biologist and knows where the best game viewing will be at any time of year. That's a great combination for getting the best safari at whatever price point works for you.

atravelynn Feb 7th, 2014 07:49 PM

The ampersand wars slipped my mind for a moment.

Charlie_Cornwall Feb 8th, 2014 06:54 AM

Nomad Tanzania are well worth looking at. Try contacting a company like Expert Africa to arrange the trip for you if you do not want to do it yourself. Not so expensive as AndBeyond have excellent guides, you get a private vehicle included and their camps are very comfortable, great food and have a very authentic safari ambience.

I too would highly recommend Tarangire, Swala Camp is beautiful there. A wonderful place to start your first safari. If you take Dad to the N Crater I would splash out on a lodge with a crater view for a once in a lifetime experience. Have a great trip.

jeep61 Feb 12th, 2014 02:20 PM

This advice might be coming too late but here is the link to our trip report for a Northern Circuit private tour provided by Good Earth Tours in September 2012. http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...-amsterdam.cfm

It was absolutely wonderful. We are about the same age as your parents and also wanted very comfortable accommodations and it was all perfect. Our guide Raphael was excellent and he listened to what we thought we wanted to see and he found our wishes. Good luck!

juvenT Mar 1st, 2014 02:31 PM

yes, local tour company will be good for you all my girl friend travelled with oreta Adventures, she had a very nice time. I recommend them.

LKW1958 Mar 4th, 2014 04:31 AM

I can highly, highly recommend talking to Sharon at Africa Dream Safaris. They specialize in the northern circuit and did an outstanding job for us. We also travelled in the month of Oct. And were in all parts of the Serengeti w/our private vehicle and driver/guide, along with the Crater, Lake Manyara and Tarangire. What I really liked is they met and took care of you from the time you step off the plane, until you got back on. Not that I necessarily like "hand holding", but for our first trip to Africa, thought we should and glad we did.