Northern beaches vs. Zanzibar

Aug 15th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Veronique

Northern beaches vs. Zanzibar

Considering that we will be in Dar es Salaam and that we will have only 3 days (we are flying back home at 24h30 on the 3rd day), what would you suggest for some down time and snorkelling, the northern beaches (north of Dar) or Zanzibar?

Thanks,

Veronique

Aug 15th, 2002, 05:28 PM
April

I liked the mainland beach (can't remember the name) although safety seemed to be more of an issue than elsewhere. We were told to always stay in groups. Crime may be worse in Zanzibar than when I was there, but I loved it and wouldn't have missed it for the world.

The spice tour is popular and a visit to the slave caves is sobering. It's easy to get to neighbouring islands from Zanzibar. Changuu (Prison) Island has giant tortoises. On another we had a most wonderful lunch of fresh king fish and the best rice I've had in my life. Don't know about snorkeling.

Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:39 AM
Veronique

Thank you for the info! We have decided to go to Zanzibar.

Véronique

Aug 27th, 2002, 09:13 PM
rj

i just returned from zanzibar and pemba islands (just north of the "big" island) and stayed at fundu lagoon on pemba. despite the extra trek to get there, it is one of the most amazing places we have ever stayed at and will return. worldclass food and diving and about as peaceful as you could imagine.

as for zanzibar island, stone town was a major disappointment however the serena inn was extremely nice. we used it as a transit hotel between pemba on both the inbound and outbound legs and felt it enhanced the trip. spring for a prime room facing the sea and you will not be dissapointed. the sunset over prison island will get you running for your camera. i have no experience with the north beaches however i have heard from friends it is a dissapointment. be careful of what you see on the internet. on the flip side, mnemba island is supposed to be one of the most romantic islands in the world (at $1300per it should be!)

have fun

Search this Thread