Search

Non-scented products

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non-scented products

I will be at Governors Camp for 3 days. Is it really necessary to have non-scented toiletries(shampoo, soap,lotions etc.)I will be there the last 3 days of October,so I guess rainy. Will the mosquitos be bad.I will be bringing some spray on deet. Thanks.
Also does anyone know if the beds have netting there.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 10:49 AM
bwanamitch

Have been there in September (with rainfalls). There were no nets and no need for insect repellent.

Mitch

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 11:36 AM

Hi Lyban - I don't want to sound negative or like a dictator here - but as someone who is somewhat sensitive to perfumes and strong fragrances, you might want to consider going easy on the smells anyway. Especially if you're going to be sharing a vehicle with strangers! Just a thought...
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 11:48 AM

I have to agree with cooncat and sure lyban will be sensitive. I have to add a small story. We were in a camp in the Maasai Mara and a lady came in (outdoor eating) and sat at the table next to us smelling very strongly of perfume etc. At first I thought wow haven't smelt anything like that in a few weeks it smells good. Then my eyes began to water and my hubby was sneezing and watering a few minutes later our waiter came bay and said he had a special table for us. We were mid dinner so thought it a little strange but I think we were both thinking we would like ot move no matter what the reason. He took us over to another table he had ready at the opp end of the dining area and as he sat us he told us this was a good table with "very fresh air" so he too had noticed the over spray of perfume! (This lady really was an over sprayer there was nothinig subtle about it)
J
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 11:54 AM
bwanamitch

Hhmmm, should I drop the eau-de-toilette from my pre-safari shopping list? :-?

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 12:29 PM
sandi

Whether you're sensitive to fragrance or not, it just makes sense to avoid attracting flying things or even startling four legged things - so avoid scent. Not unlike avoiding blue when it comes to tsetse flies.

It's easy enough to find unscented deodorant, body lotion and shampoos. There's plenty of water for bathing/showers, so you'll be just fine with unscented items. None of these are expensive... available in small travel sizes. Whatever is left over is there for your next trip out into the bush.

Have a happy clean-unscented safari!

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the replies. I really only meant non-scented shampoos and soap. I did not have any intentions of using perfume on a safari.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 06:31 PM

Lyban please don't think that I was thinking that you would be oversaturating yourself in perfume I had no such thought. Your thread just reminded me of this encounter we had, it was just the twinkle in our waiters eye as he told us the "air was fresher" that made me smile and you brought that smile back to me so Thanks!
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 07:16 PM

Just want to say that goes for me as well. I'm not against scent, not at all. However I have a coworker who douses herself in something very strong and flowery and it gives me - and other office mates a headache! That's what caused me to comment!
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Not to worry. I did not take offence at anyones comments. I am always grateful for replies to my questions and understand completely what Jules39 and cooncat are saying. Because I have never been to Africa or on a safari, I want to be sure to pack and bring the proper toiletries and clothing.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 03:04 PM

Jules, your story made me laugh!

Yes, Mitch, you do want to go easy on the cologne -- when people think of too much scent they usually think of women, but the worst 'scent offender' I've come across was a Spanish man who put on so much cologne you could smell him coming before you saw him...I was so glad he wasn't on my vehicle! One of my safari peeves!

Cheers,
Julian