Nkuringo in southern Bwindi

Nov 14th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Nkuringo in southern Bwindi

Gorilla tracking in Mgahinga in Uganda has been suspended and my hiking that would have been done at there will now be at Nkuringo in southern Bwindi. Has anyone gone on this particular route? (I think it's only been open since 2004) From what I'm reading it sounds like it is more difficult/steep than the trekking in northern Bwindi. (I'll have two days of trekking in Rwanda, but really wanted to go on a third day in Uganda.)

I realize all of the hikes can be difficult, which is fine, but based on the descriptions I'm reading I would love some feedback from anyone that has gone on this particular route.
Thanks!
Nov 14th, 2005, 11:06 AM

Maxwell,

I have not personally trekked the Nkuringo Group yet, but have been told by a Uganda Wildlife Authority ranger that the group has 18 individuals:

2 Silverbacks
4 Adult females
4 Blackbacks
3 Subadults
1 Juvenile
4 Infants

It is apparently a very nice group and the trekking seems not to be as difficult as you have been told as it is currently taking about 30 minutes to reach the gorillas there. The habituation of this group started in 1997 with 17 individuals. Just last December one female in the group gave birth to twins. Unfortunately one died after four days, but the other infant is doing very well.
Nov 14th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

great, thanks for that info. yes that is a little different that what I was reading!

Search this Thread