Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Nile River Cruises-which did you use? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/nile-river-cruises-which-did-you-use-812865/)

dutyfree Nov 2nd, 2009 04:23 PM

Nile River Cruises-which did you use?

The threads about Nile River cruises are quite old so I am hoping that people who have used a boat for a Nile River Cruise in the last 4 years could respond? Could you provide the name of the boat and whether you were happy with it? Approximate costs if you booked it yourself and with whom? I am looking at booking a cruise going from Aswan to Luxor in December for 3 nights. Thanks for your help!

abby97 Nov 2nd, 2009 08:04 PM

I haven't gone yet and thus am of limited help, but I sepcifically asked my guide (Ahmed Hamed Yousif) to book me on the Oberoi Philae, for a few reasons: (1) several folks here (including Elizabeth_S) recommended it; (2) it is one of the few cruise boats on which every cabin has a private balcony; and (3) it is one of the few cruise boats that typically has a private dock, so you're not stuck in the middle of two other boats when you're not sailing (and on a four-night cruise, there is a lot of time when you're not sailing). It is definitely more expensive than many of the other cruise boats, but for me, I think (and hope) it is worth the extra cost.

scotsgirl Nov 3rd, 2009 05:18 PM

I believe that availability is quite limited on the cruise boats in December, particularly over christmas, as it is high season. You would be better to contact a local tour agent and ask them what they could get for you for your dates.

You could try the company I use, Egypt Quality Tours, and see what they would recommend. Although I believe they normally recommend only standards of 5* Deluxe and above.

Just a thought

Scotsgirl

dutyfree Nov 3rd, 2009 06:35 PM

Has anyone ever skipped the Nile Cruise and just done two days in Aswan and two days in Luxor? I have gotten some information and quite honestly am NOT interested in the mandatory Christmas Eve dinner for an extra 100 Euros and the fact that you don't really sail during the day,only at night. I want to see stuff! Thoughts anyone?

Grcxx3 Nov 3rd, 2009 06:55 PM

dutyfree - I have known people to do that. I agree that the mandatory dinner-thing is obnoxious.

I loved sailing along the Nile (we sailed in the afternoons, after touring in the mornings) and it was so relaxing and scenic. But if I were to do it without the cruise - I would do 1 day (a good, long one) in Aswan, and 3 in Luxor. There is more to see in Luxor. We did spend our first Thanksgiving (2001) in Luxor without a cruise and loved it.

Now, are you including Abu Simbel????

dutyfree Nov 3rd, 2009 08:30 PM

Definitely YES on including Abu Simbel. However, would you recommend flying there or the driving early in the morning?

I just read on another old thread that you could request the flight that goes from Cairo to Aswan and then on to Abu Simbel and back to Aswan which makes so much sense to me but I haven't heard of others doing it.

I think that our family would love sailing the Nile but am concerned about the touristy boat stuff-shall I just bite the bullet and hope that my 24 and 27 year can endure it?
Thanks for your imput!

sandi Nov 4th, 2009 05:53 AM

dutyfree - Our visit to Abu Simbel was by air. CAI/ASW/ABS/ASW. Believe our flight out of CAI departed 7am.

We were supposed to stop at Aswan on the way south, but as all the paxs were going to Abu Simbel, went straight on. Plane waited on the ground for us to complete our sightseeing, then returned us to Aswan to board out Nile cruise boat.

Yes, there were boats lined up along many of the sightseeing stops, as Kom Ombo and Edfu, but lucky for us, we were docked right at the bulkhead, so no walking thru. However, once on land, with our small group (12/paxs) from the boat with an English speaking guide, any other groups were a non-event.

We went out way, they theirs... never too many people. And, had sufficient time to go off on our own as long as we were back on our boat on time. If you're not, you set the schedule off for every boat coming/going; could be left behind. One day, we were almost left... too busy shopping... :) :)