Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   nile hilton after jan 01, 2009 (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/nile-hilton-after-jan-01-2009-a-423870/)

rdwatl Sep 2nd, 2008 03:01 PM

nile hilton after jan 01, 2009

will the nile hilton be open after jan 01, 2009, and if so, what will be the name of the hotel? i think it has the best location in all of cairo for a tourist.

Casual_Cairo Sep 3rd, 2008 11:14 AM

I heard the Ritz has bought it, but if that is true, you can bet they are not going to operate out of that old building. They have bought some prime real estate. My guess is that they will build a building that is worthy of the real estate.. but I don't know for sure. Will keep you posted.

By the by - the Grand Hyatt has alcohol again I heard - but ONLY for room service and up at the revolving restaurant, so they may as well not really have bothered.

All of the above is hearsay and gossip so don't take any of it to the bank.

thit_cho Sep 3rd, 2008 11:24 AM

I stayed at the Nile Hilton on my first visit to Cairo in 1997, and it was a bit dowdy, but as you wrote, a spectacular riparian location. Notwithstanding its location, I elected to stay elsewher on my other two trips. It would be nice to see what Ritz-Carlton constructs on that site (if the rumors prove true).

sunshine007 Sep 3rd, 2008 01:44 PM

I read that a deal had been reached -- no rumor & innuendo--in either the Gazette or the Egypt Daily News.

The top floor is very expensive and quite nice (expensive is a relative term) and it makes sense that it would serve some sort of liquor. Maybe only imported wines. People of all stripes go there for special occassions & business dinners.

As for Room Service, one of the complaints was that tourists wouldn't stay in it if no liquor was available. So, my guess is that since only hotel guests will be able to order room service, and those people are largely business folks & tourists, that they have found a way to serve alcohol to business people & tourists without having to serve everyone.

I read an article on it that quoted a 15 year bartender there who said that he had been there for 15 years, and he couldn't afford to go to a new place, but he also couldn't afford to stay there b/c no one was in the place. Those are the guys to really feel sorry for.

As for me, I still miss going there & sitting in the outside terrace and having a nicely grilled piece of fish with a gin & tonic. Tant pis.

Casual_Cairo Sep 3rd, 2008 11:19 PM

Again Sunshine - you make a joke! Ha Ha Ha!

You said -"I read that a deal had been reached -- no rumor & innuendo--in either the Gazette or the Egypt Daily News."

If it was in the Gazette or the Egypt Daily News, it more than likely is rumor or innuendo. You don't think they actually research things and try to publish fact, do you? LOL

(kidding) ;)