Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Nile cruise help needed - anyone used Africa Safari Club?

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Hi y'all,

we're looking at at Nile cruise next March and friends used the Africa Safari Club which they really liked.

For the week we're thinking about, it would be £769 pp for 7 nights, including flights from the UK - this seems pretty cheap to me. Are there any disadvantages I ought to be thinking about?

regards, ann
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

PS - that works out at about U$1500, I reckon.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:52 PM

Seems cheap to me also, especially if including air. I'd check return airfares between LHR/CAI to give an idea of that approximate cost. Difference would be the cruise.
Are you only doing cruise? If so, which stops? Which boat? Any days in CAI? Which hotel? Any tours here, ie. pyramids, sphinx, visits to Sakkara or Memphis, the museum?

Admittedly, some tour operators get deals for air and even land, but this still sounds too low.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

hi, sandi,

good idea about flights - I'll follow this up.

the boat is the "5 star [sic] MS star of Luxorbuilt in 1993 and reburbished in 2003 which carries 108 passengers in air-conditioned comfort". the curise starts and ends at luxor.

the costs quoted are for basic cabins [with WC and shower]; better cabins suites are 30-170 pp per week extra.

some excursions are included -
DAy 1 - Fly from LGW to luxor. Settle in.

Day 2- the valley of the kings, valley of the queens, colossi of memnon. sail to Edfu.

Day 3 - temple of horus at edfu, sail to kom ombo to visit the temple, sail to aswan

Day 4 - aswan ,the philae temple, botanical gardens, son et lumiere at Philae. [extra - U$35]

Day 5 - at leisure in aswan or optional excursion to abu simbel [our friends did this and didn't think too much of it]. sail to edfu.

day 6 - sail to luxor, temple of Karnak, luxor temple.

day 7 - at leisure in Luxor, or full day trip , by air to Cairo to see pyramids, museum of antiquities, bazaar, for U$260 pp. including lunch.[our friends didn't do this, but said people who did were raving about it].

Day 8 - Morning at leisure. lunch then depart for airport.

is this too good to be true?

I suppose that we have to add US260 to the price to take a/c of the cairo trip, making it U$1760 or £ 880. stilpretty good, but less of a bargain.

grateful for any thoughts,

rgards, ann
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 06:24 PM

A word of advice - I posted a request for information on AETBI - The Association of Egypt Travel Businesses on the Internet - http://www.touregypt.net/ and I was deluged, I mean deluged with proposals. I probably got 40 - 50. But, some were good tour operators whose names I recognized from this forum. It was a good way to compare oranges to oranges, since they were all bidding on the same thing.
What boat does the cruise use? That should separate the good ones from the not so good ones, I would think.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:59 PM

I can't believe they have fit in the pyramids, museum, bazaar and lunch in Cairo all in one day! That would be exhausting!!!
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 04:47 AM

Your friends didn't like Abu Simbel? The first, I believe, seen this comment on the board. Did they go by land convoy or air? By land, well... it's early start, thru the desert, visit the site and return. That could take the enthusiasm out of anyone. If by air, it's less exhausting and the temples are beautiful.

I'm with Grcxxx - that's a lot to fit into 1/day in Cairo... rush, rush, rush. The Museum alone deserve a full morning (many visitors return on their own as there's so much to see). And, you probably won't get much time to actually shop in the bazaar.

When we did our trip back in 2000, we paid a little less than $2,000 for 10/days which included 2-1/2 days Cairo (private guide/driver touring Sphinx, Pyramids, Sakkara, Memphis, Museum, Bazaar, Old/Coptic Cairo and the opera at the Pyramids), flight to and sightseeing at Abu Simbel back to Aswan, 5/day cruise on Movenpick I boat which included day in Aswan (Philae Temple, unfinished obolisk, felucca ride, etc; all Nile temple stops - Kom Ombo, Edfu, Esna; and 1-1/2 days in Luxor for temples etc.

Of course, coming from the States, air was separate, where we flew via Jordan for 2/days here to visit Amman and Petra, of course. The 2/days in Jordan including hotel, meals and touring was a little over $200/person.

Only you can decide whether the price/value for what is provided works for you.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to you all.

sandi - your comments and experience are very helpful - I will look at movenpick baots more carefully.

momliz - that's a very helpful site - I need to work out what we want exactly then light the blue touch paper, and retire! - the boat BTW is the MS Star of Luxor.

grxxxx - that's very helpful too. It's an air-trip, that I gather starts very early - about 3am. even so, I agree it's a lot in one day.

At the moment, i am looking at the possibility of organising something independently, or tailor-made, with say, 2 days in Cairo, a nile cruise, then... - possibly 10 days in all. that really all we can afford in terms of time and money.

any suggestions for someone who might help us organise it - i seem to remember someone called Debbie? based in cairo who has been highly recommended?

any help most gratefully received.

regards, ann
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 01:38 PM

Movenpick has a newer boat, believe it's the II. But, there have been so many new boats since we visited, there's not much more I can comment from experience - which are good, bad or in-between, size, quality of guides or food. Best you read reviews and do some research.

As to "debbie" - yes, that's Debbie Senter of Casual Cairo Detours, who posts great helpful info here on the board. You can reach her at [email protected] for assistance in Cairo and other recommendations.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 11:00 AM

Annhig,
I just wanted to let you know that African Safari Club is offering discounts through travelzoo - you'll have to sign up to see it on this weeks top 20 travel deals or this link should put you through to the relevant page.

http://www.africansafariclub.com/tz25/index.php

Several of the departures in March are discounted by 100 pounds per person which will save two of you about 400 dollars. They're also throwing in an upgrade to the next level cabin.

If you haven't made the booking already I hope this saves you some money. I don't know anything about the operator but I often use travelzoo for information on discounted hotel rooms in London.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

hi, welltravelled,

thanks so much for the heads up [if that's what this phrase means?]. It came up on my e-mail too. trouble is, we haven't quite worked out

a) if this is what we want to do
b) if we can afford it [not such a problem now
c) if it's just us or us and kids
d) which dates exactly, as we have to co-ordinate school and university hols
e) our house sitter if all 4 of us go
f)...well you get the idea.

too many decisions. but thanks for your help,

regards, ann