BEST SHOPPING MALL IN CAIRO?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone share information of where is the best shopping mall in El Cairo? Any good hotel nearby? I just want to get a feel of what to buy before going to the streets and negotiate prices with vendors elsewhere. Thanks
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 04:34 AM
sandi

I believe there is a large shopping mall near the new Four Seasons's Hotel, but even your own hotel will have lots of what you'll see on the streets.

But prices are so reasonable that the best is just going to the Khan Kahili Bazaar. Streets and streets of vendors, though very crowded. You certainly don't have to buy the first thing you see - walk the streets, get an idea of prices and have idea in your mind what you want to spend.

Then offer 50% of the price quoted and negotiate from there - usually up. That's the way it's done.

Is there anything in particular that you're looking for that you need to have an idea of price?

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 05:08 AM

Further to Sandi's reply. I'm also researching Egypt for my upcoming trip this December and have found this mall near my hotel - "The First Mall". They even have a web site: http://www.firstmall-egypt.com/
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Sandi.

I was looking for nothing in particular (maybe some Papyrus - spelling?). Do you have any options of what would be a nice gift to buy for friends?
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 11:40 AM

To be honest, I wouldn't bother with a shopping mall at all. The only one I saw as near the Four Seasons and it was pretty mediocre. Instead, like Sandi said, go to the Khan Kahili (however it's spelled) market to get a feel for Egyptian shopping. Actually, you won't need to go anywhere to buy things - vendors come to you! Everywhere you go, you will be pestered to buy something or to visit "my uncle's shop". Prices don't vary much for the basics (i.e. papyrus, small statues, trinkets, etc.) and bartering is a must.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 11:45 AM
sandi

Papyrus is a lovely gift, but warning. Those with lots of gold in them and being sold in clear plastic sleeves are not real papyrus, rather are banana leaves. You will find this "copies" sold at very inexpensive prices liike 5 for $5 - unless you want to give these to lots of people, opt for the real ones.

If you have the opportunity to go into a shop that specialized in papyrus, they will do a demonstration of how papyrus is made, so you'll know the difference. You'll also find that in these shops the prices are rather hi.

There is a shop in the Khan Kahlili Bazaar that does lots of work for the Egyptian Govt and that all the flight crews visit. They have shelves and shelves of papyrus, all sizes, many designs - we spent a good 2-hrs one day just selecting what we wanted, and their prices were great. They also sell batik, pottery and silk items.

Called Egyptian Art Gallery at 8, Wakalat Al makwa, Khan al Khalili, Cairo. Ph. 591-9496 I have their business card that has a map on reverse showing how to find the place, especially since it's not at street level and thru a few small alleys.

We found it when a little boy approached beckoning us to "come see my shop" (which many of us have heard in lots of places in the world; but we followed (two women), but after the second alley we wanted to go back to the main street - then we figured we were both bigger than this little child, why not be brave and see whether we'd be taken hostage and sold into white slavery or find that most wonderful shop. Lucky us, it might not be a very pretty shop, but it has so many wonderful things.

If you feel comfortable providing your email, I can scan in and forward the map to you.

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 01:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for this valuable info. I will gladly recieve the copy of the map. Please send to [email protected]. By the way, are yo the same Sandi that posts in South Africa? Thanks too to Heyblondie for her advice.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 01:57 AM

Also beware of fake alabaster - we got scammed by buying an "alabaster" vase that turned out to be paper mache. (We were caught up in the moment and did not check it out very well) Still it is on display in our living room as a fond memory of our trip.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 02:35 AM

Hi, Sandi --

Can you send me the map as well? Sounds very interesting.

Appreciate it.

[email protected]

Thx, again.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 06:21 AM

Sandi - could you please send me a copy of the map as well? Going to Egypt in march and would love to check out the shop you mentioned! Thanks!
The address is: [email protected]
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 10:11 AM

Sandi, I too would like you to email me your map. I am going to Egypt January 16, 2004. My email is [email protected]. Thanks! Also, what kind of shoes did you wear at the Pyramids and Karnak? Thanks!
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 12:37 PM
sandi

MauiMaui -

As far as shoes, anything that is comfortable and well broken in - not thetime for new shoes. Mostly I work slip-in Keds or Teva sandles. There is lots of uneven ground, so rubber soles a good idea.

I'll email the map for any who asked - now let's hope that this little shop is still there.

Old Nov 20th, 2003, 07:29 AM

Hi Sandi
You seem to know papyrus - if I were interested in buying the real thing what is the pricing like? In past I've only bought the 'plastic sleeve' - apparently banana leaf - variety.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 03:17 AM
sandi

Babaldas -
this is a test, had trouble posting yesterday. if it goes thru i'll continue

Old Nov 21st, 2003, 03:25 AM
sandi

Babaldas -

Well, here goes. Surprising not expensive. I did't buy big pieces - sofa pieces of 3' or 4', rather sizes like 12x14", 15x20", even oblong 10x22" (all odd sizes) but with design or story of interest - many have papyrus show the Book of the Dead, the various deities.

Since we bought quite a lot for ourselves, friends and families, we negotiated prices, but something like $10, $12, $15, even believe a small one ran about $8. The shopkeeping will roll these and place in a colorful tube that can fit easily inside your luggage.

But it's the framing that will get you. Framing of wood with a mat can easily cost $60 & up. A cheaper alternative is a metal frame with the papyrus floating on a color backing, costing from $30 & up. In both cases the papyrus is attached with double faced sticky tape.

Best is that regardless ones decor, they work with everything. Enjoy your holiday.

Old Nov 21st, 2003, 07:54 AM

Sandi: Here's another request for a copy of the papyrus shop map. Anxiously looking forward to my return visit next May.

[email protected]

Thanks much.
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:38 AM

Sandi....if you could send one more map please. I'm traveling to Egypt with just my son in December and would like to know where I'm going. Afraid I may not be as brave as you and your companion.....thanks, Jaye
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:43 AM

Sandi.....duh! [email protected]
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 05:15 AM

Hi Sandi:

We are travelling to Egypt in Feb 2004. If you don't mind, I too would love to receive the map of the papyrus shop. My email is [email protected]. Many thanks!
Lori
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 11:13 AM

Sandi: If you would be so kind, please send me a copy of the map. Thanks for the tip on the 50%, its nice to know where to start! I am traveling to Egypt in march (3/13)with GCT. Thanks [email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -