Nile cruise and tour company

Feb 20th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Nile cruise and tour company

We are planning a trip to egypt and have narrowed down the Nile cruise boats to the Oberoi Shehrazad or the Sonesta Sun Goddess (I know the oberoi philae and sonesta moon goddess are considered the best, but neither of these fit into our time schedule). Has anyone cruised on either of these boats recently, and which would you recommend?
We are looking at 2 tour companies for helping to plan our private tour - Misr Travel and Viking Travel. I've heard a few positive comments on both on this board - anyone have any negative experiences dealing with either of these companies? Has anyone used them recently and would recommend them?
Thanks.
Feb 22nd, 2003, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

anyone???
Feb 23rd, 2003, 03:19 AM

We took Oberoi Shehrazad as part of Globus tour about 2 years ago. What I read prior to traveling did not make real distinctions between 2 Oberoi boats, so I might question Philae being better.

It was an older boat than some others we saw sailing, but that was not a negative - lots of wood paneling in cabins, bar, dining room made us feel like some turn-of-the-century exotic travelers.

Food was very good, although even though we had been told we could, we avoided possibly problematic foods (raw stuff, unpeeled, etc.). Afternoon tea was a nice touch. Staff greeted us after each shore excursion with cold face clothes - a really nice touch.

Standing on the top deck watching the shores of the Nile pass by was a highlight of the trip. Some might find the tiny "dip pool" a negative, as some other boats seemed to have larger decks and pools.

Misr travel is the government-affiliated tour company of Egypt and the name is everywhere, but no personal experience with them.

Have a good trip.
Feb 26th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

thanks gail for the information.
Any other comments regarding the cruise ships, or MISR travel vs Viking travel?
Feb 26th, 2003, 04:28 PM

Hi!

We went on the Sonesta Nile Goddess
and thought the rooms, service and food were excellent.
You won't go wrong with Sonesta.

Ingrid
Feb 27th, 2003, 04:49 AM

We took an Oberoi Shehrazad cruise about a year ago and very much enjoyed the service, tour guide, food, etc. We have been living in Egypt and booked through a local travel agency on their recommendation. I think the Oberoi can be counted on and is used most often by ex-pats here. Enjoy. It was a great experience. The Philae is supposed to be slight more deluxe/upscale. We had children along, so didn't choose that boat.

Search this Thread