Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Nile Cruise (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/nile-cruise-49208/)

Caren Jul 23rd, 1999 10:54 AM

Nile Cruise

<BR>My husband and I are planning to be in Egypt for a month (12/30/99-1/26/00) <BR>We are experienced travelers. We live in NYC and are in our 40's. Everyone says that we MUST take a Nile Cruise. Is this true ? What is the disadvantage of flying to Luxor, Aswan, and Abel Simel and seeing the "sights" from there ? We do not like being a part of tours. We don't care about the entertainment on the cruise ship at night. <BR>We are thinking about spending about a week in Cairo and 4 ish days in Alexandra. <BR>Either respond here or to me directly. <BR>[email protected]. Since we will be there for New Year's Eve, we want to finalize our reservations as soon as possible, so that we have a place to sleep <BR>Thanks. Caren <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

cb Jul 23rd, 1999 12:14 PM

The Nile cruise is really to see the sights between Luxor/Karnak and Aswan. There are interesting temples in Esna, Edfu, and Kom Ombo and land travel is not advisable to reach these places for security reasons. If you don't care for these places, flying will serve your purpose.

cb Jul 23rd, 1999 12:14 PM

The Nile cruise is really to see the sights between Luxor/Karnak and Aswan. There are interesting temples in Esna, Edfu, and Kom Ombo and land travel is not advisable to reach these places for security reasons. If you don't care for these places, flying will serve your purpose.

Richard Newton Jul 25th, 1999 05:01 PM

"Everybody says that we MUST take a Nile Cruise. Is this true" <BR> <BR> No, you don't have to take a Nile Cruise, you can fly. But you'd be missing one of the best aspects of Egypt. The Nile River boats are just wonderful Platforms from which you watch the country go by. With a drink and a comfortable chair you watch things being done exactly the same way as they have been done for thousands of years. <BR> I was there between terrorist attacks when traffic was light on the Nile. At that time it was recommended that foreign tourists not take the train from Cairo, but fly down to Luxor because of terrorist incidents. <BR> All in all the Nile River Boat was the best part of visiting Egypt. <BR> <BR> Hope you enjoy your trip. <BR> <BR>

Jodi Jul 27th, 1999 06:46 PM

I agree with all the replies you have received so far. I, too, am an experienced traveler. To see the Sahara (you will discover why they call it the Golden Sahara when you see its reflection in the water), the life, from the vantage of the Nile is imperative to you trip(from my point of view). You will have plenty of time to fly from place.ie: Abu Simbel, maybe Alexandria (its a long drive and not all that interesting). The Egyptian pilots are terrific, all military, and you will go all over on Egypt Air. Who cares what the entertainment is on the cruise ship? if that is not your thing, and it seems not you are undeer no obligation to take part...sit up on the top deck and watch the stars, read, nap, get reday for the following days opportunities..like getting up early to buy your tickets to see Nefertiti's Tomb one day. It's an OK thing to do and, the cruise, and really a VIP part of the EGyptian experience. Why not spend DEC.31 in Abu Simbel...bit they will light the Temples that night and that would be pretty spectacular. Sit on the L side of the plane as you fly to Abu...that way you see the Temples as you curve into to land....flying over Lake Nasser is amazing, it is SO dead. If you have that much time why don't you cruise Lake Nasser and see the Temples on the way. The one boat sounds very nice and not too "cruisey" <BR>Jodi

Myriam Aug 1st, 1999 04:06 AM

I would advise you to look for a small cruiseship. Our ship had only 30 cabins and the "night entertainment" was almost nil, which we were glad for because we had to get up early every morning to be back at the ship before it got too warm.

Paula Aug 4th, 1999 04:46 PM

I do not enjoy boats period - much too confining and focused. You should fly to Luxor and then bus or hire a driver and go to Aswan. Then fly out to Abu Simbel and back to Cairo. <BR> <BR>I don't like to delude you but December is the busiest month in Egypt as is the first part of January. Planes are now booked although with connections you might be able to get on board. The millennium is fueling this plus people like to go down the Nile for the holidays. <BR> <BR>If you have not made firm reservations your only recourse may be to go by tour. The tour operators reserved blocks of rooms and have had the Dec. - Jan. blocked out. In Egypt the class of hotel is only a hint at what you will find. Expect to find questionable bathrooms and rooms in hotels that are under 4 star. <BR> <BR>Alexandria is nice but I feel overrated - it is very European in its outlook, has mediocre ruins, and is overcrowded. <BR>