Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Nile Cruise (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/nile-cruise-415097/)

LauraE Mar 24th, 2004 11:23 PM

Nile Cruise

Can anyone recommend a Nile cruise from Luxor to Aswan. I would prefer a small ship, not a larger tourist one. Something more historic than a luxerious one. Or, is it better to cruise from Aswan to Luxor? Thank you

pgmargate Mar 25th, 2004 02:11 AM

leaving the best for last i would transit aswan- luxor.

sandi Mar 25th, 2004 04:50 AM

Laura - are you doing a complete tour or the Nile Cruise?

If working through a tour operator have you asked about a smaller boat. There are some that only have about 20-25 cabins, but these are ofen more expensive then the other boats that can accommodate about 100 to 150 passengers. I can't think of a particular smaller boat.

Also depending on time of year, and with tourism generally down, I doubt many of what you call larger boats will be full. And if the smaller boats don't have sufficient bookings they might not even go out.

As to the route Luxor/Aswan or Aswan/Luxor this would depend on the schedule of the boat and your dates. We cruised from Aswan to Luxor and spend 2-days in Luxor before returning to Cairo. When first traveling from Cairo south, we stopped at Abu Simbel first before flying back to Aswan to board our boat. While in Aswan we visited Philae Temple Island, then began our cruise - stopping at Kom Ombo, Edfu, Esna and then Luxor. Spend time in the Valley of K&Q and visited both Luxor and Karnak Temples. Saw the Light & Sound Show at Karnak Temple.

Back to the boat, check with a tour operator for the specific type boat you want, it's schedule and price.

LauraE Mar 25th, 2004 03:09 PM

Thank you. I've traveled in Egypt a number of times before, but never taken a cruise, or a tour for that matter.
About how expensive was the cruise you took? I know it varies during different seasons, but an idea on cost would be great. Can you recommend a tour agency for cruises? Thanks again for you time.
Laura

sandi Mar 26th, 2004 05:20 AM

Laura -

Check with Egyptian Connections at:

www.egyptonline.com

they are an in-country Egyptian tour operator that gets positive reviews. They probably can arrange a "cruise only" and I would assume have current information on the boats currently cruising the Nile. There are cruises of 3-, 4- & 7-days, so ask for information on each.

I cannot say what our 4-day cruise cost as it was bundled into a total itinerary of Egypt.

LauraE Mar 26th, 2004 04:34 PM

Thanks again. I found one cruise site, but they didn't have prices, so I emailed them and they said they didn't have a schedule for November. I'm hoping they are still running boats even though we are getting there for the end of Ramadan. I've been to Egypt during Ramadan and didn't have any problems with the sites, but we were traveling on our own and used regular transportation ie trains and taxi cabs. Oh well, if it doesn't work, I'll just have to go back again. :-)
Laura

ernest Apr 27th, 2004 10:14 AM

Hi Laura,
I'm looking for the same info: affordable 3-day cruise from Luxor to Aswan or Aswan to Luxor. Can you share any links or findings?

Please email directly
Thanks in advance

wombat7 Jun 24th, 2004 02:44 PM

web site for egypt on line is no longer working

sandi Jun 25th, 2004 03:51 AM

wombat -

Sorry about that, the correct website is:

www.egyptontheweb.com

they all sound the same, one can easily be confused. My error, sorry for the confusion.

FMac Jun 27th, 2004 12:24 PM

Check out Grand Circle Travel website. They have a 2-week cruise-tour at $1875-1975 pp (main deck) including air JFK to Cairo. None of the cruise ships are really large. Grand Circle's is new (2001 launch) with 130 passengers max.

garah Aug 24th, 2004 11:56 AM

I took the Grand Circle travel trip to Egypt in March(04) and the trip and the ship were great. Very good food and the cabins were the best I have seen (we were on the main deck towards the bow and on the right side)! I can't say enough about this trip, you get a lot for your money on this trip. The Nile cruise was for 7 nites.