Search

singita anyone? or similar?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 05:18 PM
bean

singita anyone? or similar?

we are going to sun city, and then want to go to singita private game reserve, has anyone been there, or does anyone have a suggestion on another similar place? what is the cheapest safest way to go from one place to another...and is johanesburg really dangerous? thanks for any help.......

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:52 AM
scott

Yes, Singita is worth every penny. Read all the raves about it on these boards. It's beautiful. There are similar places but none are quite as luxurious. I flew in between destinations in SA so don't have much to tell you there... and yes, I felt that Joburg was really that dangerous after talking to the locals. When I went I asked the same thing, "can it really be THAT dangerous?" Unfortunately, I think the answer is yes. I would spend as little time in Joburg as possible. there is nothing for a tourist to do. we spent 2 separate nights there and regretted it.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Allen

Singita is wonderful so by all means put that as a must. If you have to go to Johannesburg (not my favorite place) be sure to visit the "cradle of mankind". It is about a 45 minute drive and you can see them excavating human bones that are some of the oldest on the planet. It is really spectacular to see (and even hold some of the bones)if you are in the area.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 12:23 PM
bean

thanks so much for the replys! so come to find out singita is booked when we want to go....any other suggestions usasaba perhaps? someone suggested mala mala but it doesnt seem to have the same feeling to it as singita????

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Allen

Mala Mala does not have the same feel as Singita. However, it depends on what you are looking for. Singita has the ultra luxury but Mala Mala certainly has the game. It's area is much larger, has a lot more of the Sand River frontage running through it (therefore attracting game) and borders on Kruger (the fence has been removed that separated them). Main Camp at Mala Mala is very nice. Other suggestions though would be Londolozi or Ulusaba (owned by Richard Branson).

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 12:10 PM
jackie

Try the Royal Malewane in Kruger http://www.royalmalewane.com<BR><BR>Its been getting rave reviews and even more upscale/lux than singita.