Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   night game drive (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/night-game-drive-563541/)

wjsonl Oct 10th, 2005 06:15 AM

night game drive

There's a post a few months back that said CCAfrica was possibly going to do night game drives at its Manyara Tree Lodge, but I've checked their website and didn't see anything about it. Anyone know the status of night drives with CCAfrica? Thanx, Jack

climbhighsleeplow Oct 10th, 2005 06:25 AM

Jack, I posted one of those "rumours" based on good information I had at the time. Since then I've heard nothing so CCAfrica may not be ready to do this themselves.

I know that Green Footprint Adventures can do it. You can contact [email protected]

Eben

bat Oct 10th, 2005 06:48 AM

Here is the info I received from Mary at greenfootprint--indicates they have an exclusionary right to conduct the night drives.

"1.1 Night Game Drives & Bush Dinner

A first for Tanzanian National Parks…from an open game drive vehicle view nocturnal animals; leopards, hippos, porcupines, genets, civets, bush babies and lots more. The night game drive is also an experience for the senses; listening to the night sounds and learning more about the African stars. You will be the only vehicle in the whole park since Green Footprint Adventures is the only company allowed to do night game drives in Lake Manyara National Park!
We offer an excellent bush dinner next to the park entrance that starts at 19.00. Around 20.00 we will leave for the night game drive.

Meeting place: 19:00, Lake Manyara National Park gate
Departure time: around 20.00
Duration: Approximately 2,5 hours

Remember to let us know where you want us to drop off your guests. Drop off of guests will be at the park gate or at Serena around 22:30"

climbhighsleeplow Oct 10th, 2005 07:05 AM

The interesting thing?

It is a long long way to Tree Lodge especially at night! I wonder if Green Footprint will drive all the way to Tree Lodge to meet you, do the night drive (most wildlife is in the northern areas), and drop you back at Tree Lodge and then drive back out (at least a 2 hour drive for them)!

This is why I think night drives by Tree Lodge makes a lot of sense!

bat Oct 10th, 2005 08:57 AM

climhighsleeplow--So this description is not feasible for Manyara Tree Lodge guests? (since it starts at the gate and ends at the gate or the Serena)

wjsonl, let us know what they say for Tree Lodge guests.

bat Oct 10th, 2005 09:15 AM

Jack:
I see this on the CCAfrica web site for Tree Lodge:

"The wildlife in Lake Manyara National Park is habituated to the presence of humans and this makes our game drives and night drives all the more rewarding."

wjsonl Oct 10th, 2005 09:25 AM

Eban 'n Bat, guess we won't be doing it since CCAfrica/Tree Lodge isn't doing them, and since Tree Lodge is so remote from the pickup places. We stayed at the Manyara Serena on our last trip, and even though it's very nice and all that, we're looking at staying at different places for different experiences, so I guess the Manyara night drive won't make it onto our itinerary. But someday.... Thanx for the info. Jack

wjsonl Oct 10th, 2005 09:27 AM

Dang, I musta missed it. 1st mistake I've ever made! :-)

bat Oct 10th, 2005 09:35 AM

Jack:
You could write to them (CCAfrica)anyway so they can confirm it.

Eben, I went to your Manyara site and it makes it soooooo clear why they need their own night drives.

Your map also makes all of the non-crater rim accommodations much more understandable in terms of location, drive time.

While I was at it I looked at the newer Tanrangire site also--fabulous.

Leely Oct 10th, 2005 09:40 AM

Ugh, I am going to have to visit a friend with a PC so I can truly enjoy and learn from Eben's site!

Sorry, Jack, this is a bit of a hijack of your thread, but climbhigh and others, is Mawe Ninga in Tarangire the old Maji Moto camp? And, climbhigh, I know you've indicated before that Mawe Ninga is not particularly well-located. Just wondering why, although I am not changing my itinerary.

wjsonl Oct 10th, 2005 10:14 AM

No problem.Hope I make it to Tarangire somday, love those baobabs!

climbhighsleeplow Oct 10th, 2005 10:21 AM

Leely

Maji Moto was in Lake Manyara NP before it washed away a few years ago. Treetops was then built some distance south of it (above the flood plain!)

Mawe Ninga is inside Tarangire in a good general location. A previous comment from me was probably refering to the fact that you won't see the amount of wildlife from your doorstep as you would at Swala and Tarangire Safari Lodge.

bat Oct 10th, 2005 10:26 AM

Hey Leely--sorry that I keep tantalizing you with references to Eben's site--but yes, you will need to visit a friend with a PC--has to be new enough to handle google earth though.

I think that Maji Moto was the old CCAfrica camp in Manyara--burned down I think and they rebuilt it as Tree Lodge--not sure if in the exact same location.

I thought climbhighsleeplow liked the Mawe Ninga camp--but he can reply sooner than I can find the reference.

bat Oct 10th, 2005 10:27 AM

that's what happens when you draft while someone is replying.

Leely Oct 10th, 2005 10:42 AM

Yet another reason why I could never work in the travel industry--can't keep my facts straight. And yet I remember Maji Moto=Hot water (uh, I think).

Not a lot of animals at camp at Mawe Ninga: I'm beginning to think that might be a good thing, as I'll be the "single" in her tent. And I've been known to be terrorized by monkeys.

sandi Oct 10th, 2005 11:17 AM

If you put Maji Moto into your search engine, it comes up under CCA, even now about 2+ years since it's become Tree Lodge at Lake Manyara.

wjsonl Oct 11th, 2005 08:24 AM

RE: night game drives at Tree Lodge in Lake Manyara, I emailed CCAfrica and got a response this a.m. that the Tree Lodge does not do them. They didn't say anything about future plans. So, evidently Green Footprint has the only concession. J

bat Oct 11th, 2005 08:54 AM

Too bad. Maybe greenfootprints can make special arrangments for guests at the Tree Lodge.