Night drives in Manyara worth it????

Nov 26th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Night drives in Manyara worth it????

Hi everyone, I have already posted regarding my itinerary and tour operators, but want to know if doing a night drive in Lake Manyara is worth it in March. It seems like seeing Manyara is the only option to pass time before seeing the crater, but I am open to suggestions. I really don't want to miss the crater!!
Nov 26th, 2013, 08:00 AM

As there is no guarantee what game you will/won't see during daytime game drives, it's much the same at night. Hit and miss.

Night game drives for Manyara, depart from/returns to the Serena Lodge and can be costly, besides the game drive itself... also a park fee.

You can contact Serena direct for their rates and then see what your outfitter charges as you'll require a drop-off and pick-up from here to wherever you are staying that night before heading to or from the crater.

Often easier to do a night drive if staying at some of the camps at Tarangire, those right outside the park boundaries where the camps located in these areas conduct them and at more favorable prices.
Nov 26th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Sandi, you have been so helpful! The tour operator suggested doing Ngorongoro twice, if I'm willing to pay the $200 twice, rather than wasting time in Manyara, which I think is fine. Also, what are you personal thoughts on the following operators to whom I have narrowed down: Planet Africa, Uncharted Outposts (using all Nomad properties and guides), The Wild Source, and Wayo Africa? I have also been in contact with ATR, but not sure how I feel about them.
Nov 26th, 2013, 02:46 PM

Shouldn't comment on my competitors, but can say =
-- have no idea who Wayo is, as it's only recently I've seen that name pop up.
-- familiar with the others.
-- ATR has a great website, but does tend to push clients to properties they own... ugh!
-- Planet Africa - isn't that the former Green Footprints? If so, should be good.
-- Wild Source (Bill Givens... believe that's his name) gets great reviews.

Best I can offer.

If you do Ngo twice, one should definitely be first in the morning, when game is more active and fewer visitors/vehicles on the crater floor at least for a few hours. However, most feel 6/hrs is more than sufficient.
Nov 26th, 2013, 02:46 PM

Shouldn't comment on my competitors, but can say =
-- have no idea who Wayo is, as it's only recently I've seen that name pop up.
-- familiar with the others.
-- ATR has a great website, but does tend to push clients to properties they own... ugh!
-- Planet Africa - isn't that the former Green Footprints? If so, should be good.
-- Wild Source (Bill Givens... believe that's his name) gets great reviews.

Best I can offer.

If you do Ngo twice, one should definitely be first in the morning, when game is more active and fewer visitors/vehicles on the crater floor at least for a few hours. However, most feel 6/hrs is more than sufficient.
Nov 27th, 2013, 07:56 AM

Sandi: I've been dreaming about another trip to Africa and have been engrossed in the ATR website; was not aware that they own camps (maybe I did not read enough!) Would you let me know which camps they do own. Much appreciated….eks
Nov 27th, 2013, 10:27 AM

eks -believe it's either full-ownership, part-ownership or exclusive use and quite obvious when you see an ATR itinerary that it's them. ATR sure wouldn't indicate such on their site, just info that's learned over the years.

At Tarangire, it's often Mawe Ngina (sp), Olduvai (outside of Ngo as ATR rarely puts clients on the crater rim, rather sufficient time for visit then out for o/n Olduvai). And Ronjo Camp in the Serengeti. There might be another but can't recall just now. Unless client is specific for other properties, they get what ATR gives priority to.
Nov 27th, 2013, 12:32 PM

Thanks, Sandi!

Search this Thread