Tanzania under canvas

Old Sep 16th, 2006, 06:06 AM
santharamhari

Tanzania under canvas

Hi! Anyone here stay at the new CCA Tanzania under canvas, yet?

How does it compare with Nomad? both in terms of guiding and value for money. I'm sure food, accomodation etc etc., is great at both.....?

Thanks
Hari

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would love to hear some feedback also since I am booked with them for 4 nights in February.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 03:51 AM

I have been fortunate to spend quite a bit of time at both camps. My last visit to both was just a few days ago while in the Northern Serengeti.

Guiding - both very good. Pick one.

Camp equipment - currently the CCA camp have the edge in the Serengeti because their tents are of a better design, newer and more comfortable with flushing toilets, more comfortable beds, larger living spaces, more pleasing colors, etc.

However, Nomad Tarangire is using a new tent design IMO modeled after Thomson Serengeti Camps (but slightly larger with new features added). Once Nomad upgrade their other camps, IMO they will have the edge in terms of tent comforts unless CCA make some changes!

Vehicles - CCA have more convenient cars (open-closed) but Nomad doesn't mix clients so it is hard to choose! If you can get sole use of a CCA car you will have a better vehicle IMO.

Value for money? You can see compare prices here:
http://www.go-safari.com/Serengeti/C...nderCanvas.htm
http://www.go-safari.com/Serengeti/Nomadser.htm

IMO, in the future I think the upscale seasonal camps will all have similar comforts but a deciding factors may be their locations, vehicle loads and ability to offer activities such as walking/fly camping using licensed guides. Who gets the better camp sites and who can best anticipate the wildlife movements? It is of little use to sit in an ultra-luxury camp surrounded by dust and tsetse flies and 1 hour away from any wildlife! And having a private vehicle instead of sharing a nicer one with 4-5 others can be a deciding factor.

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 05:16 AM
santharamhari

Thanks, Eben.

Wildlife viewing/combined with good guiding is my number one priority.

Private vehicle gives nomad the edge IMO. How did you find their campsites during their visit in terms of proximity to prime game viewing?

Thanks in advance
Hari

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 09:08 AM

Predator,
You were there just a few days ago? Then welcome back.

You posed a question, "Who gets the better camp sites and who can best anticipate the wildlife movements?"

Are you able to answer that based on your recent experience.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:45 AM

I recently spent considerable time in the Northern Serengeti. Here is an updated map of the area:

http://www.go-safari.com/Serengeti/SerengetiNorth2.jpg

On this occasion, Nomad Serengeti was at Wogakuria 2 special camp, CCA Under Canvas was at W4 and Thomson Wildlife Camp was as W5.

EMC was at Lobo Hills Special Camp.

Note the current location of the new Lions of Lobo Camp.

In a month or two, these camps will all be elsewhere, although Lions of Lobo may stay until December or beyond.

Knowing which are the "better" camp sites is a combination of personal opinion and knowledge of the surrounding areas. I ran into a small handful of overseas agents who are trying to learn about mobile camping and camp movement patterns; but the vast majority will remain clueless and book their clients in whatever camp they can - regardless of location!

Every day we saw vehicles driving to Kogatende on long (3-hour plus) game drives with clients who were surprised to learn about accommodations options near the Mara! One group using a very expensive USA Agent was staying at Lobo lodge (of all places) on their high-priced safari - while both CCA and Nomad had openings!
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 05:09 PM
santharamhari

Hi Eben,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, when it comes to the Serengeti, i dont know much, so i dont know much about these locations.

Have you stayed with these other operators, EMC, Thomson's etc etc? and do you hv an opinion about them?

Thanks
Hari