Search

Roy's Safari

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roy's Safari

I have seen a lot of good things about Roy's Safari. When you booked them, did you have a US agent? Also, were you comfortable paying with a money order or wire since they do not accept credit cards? Did you buy travel insurance and from who?
Thank You
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 11:57 PM

We used Roy's for a safari in July/August 2004, based on internet research and recommendations from this website and were extremely pleased with their service. We didn't use a US agent, instead we dealt directly with Roy's over the internet. Comfortable probably isn't the word I would use to describe paying by bank transfer, but we decided to give it a try and it worked. We only transferred the minimum deposit, then paid the rest with traveller's checks when we arrived. Everything worked well, but I understand your hesitation.

I contacted my insurance company (USAA) and used the travel health insurance company thy recommended. I didn't take out travel cancellation insurance. I didn't have to make a claim, so I can't say how well they worked. Think any of the big travel insurance companies are fine.

Enjoy your safari, I think you will love it!
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

I found the thread about Roy's and advanced payment, but I'm still a bit worried.
Did others just wire the money?
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 06:56 AM

We used Roy's Safaris on our trip to Northern Tanzania last month.
We live in the UK and paid the deposit by bank draft. The balance was paid in cash when we arrived at Arusha.
We have nothing but praise for the way the company handled all our arrangements and would have no hesitation in recommending them to any prospective safari-goer.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 04:12 PM

Silvia,

If you are referring to the thread re advanced payment of deposit and bank charges, be assured that Roy's bank DO NOT levy charges at their end and this method of payment is for the benefit of clients as credit card charges are much higher.

I came unstuck by incomplete/misleading info from my own bank when arranging an international money transfer. What they did not tell me was that the money would go through various banks before getting to Roy's, each of which could charge.

The transfer is straightforward enough and Roy's confirmed arrival within 5 days but DO check carefully with YOUR bank exactly what the process involves to avoid unexpected charges.

We will be paying the balance on arrival with traveller's cheques rather than cash, either are acceptable.