Nice camps in Tanzania?

Oct 16th, 2000, 12:59 AM
Charles

Nice camps in Tanzania?

We would like some advice on tented camps in Tanzania. We are planning a trip in February next year but would prefer not to stay in lodges but be a bit closer to nature and the wildlife.Which camps are the best ones with regard to reasonable comfort and great locations/wildlife for a safari in February?

Oct 16th, 2000, 07:08 AM
Robert

Are you travelling independantly?
The campsites I've seen in Tanzania were pretty basic on the whole. There are some campsites in Serengeti National Park that are basically just a clearing surrounded by trees. At night if you shine a torch around you will see lots of yellow eyes! These are hyenas waiting for you to go to bed so they can raid the camp! The campsite at Ngorongoro Crater is atop the rim with a nice view. Again pretty basic. You need to heat up the tank yourself to get a hot shower.

See more at www.robs-travel-photos.com

Jan 24th, 2001, 08:43 PM
karen

would you consider switching to Kenya? Had the most fabulous experience that sounds like what you are looking for. We will go again asap, and will ONLY stay in small (hopefully 6 only) luxury tented camps - all your needs, but "natural" (and I don't camp!) From everything I can learn, Tanzania does not offer these, except for the "mobile tented camps" which are in the same style but even pricier, and therefore just beyond our means. Go to chelipeacock.com. You'll get an idea of the level if you look at Mugie Camp and Mara Camp of theirs. C & P are operators out of Nairobi that travel agents use here - they own some, manage some, and also make all ground arrangements in Kenya for you.
Oh, I see you wrote this in 2000, now I'm afraid I'm too late. Let me know what you found out - I'm always looking for info for our next trip.

Jan 30th, 2001, 04:49 AM
Nancy

Hoopoe tours in Arusha has some great properties. One of my favorites is called Kirurumu Tented Camp - pretty luxurious, great view, nice food, good service. It's near Lake Manyara. Tanzania is great - some operators do their own mobile tented camps which is another good way to do it. Have fun!

Search this Thread