Ngorongoro Restrictions

Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Ngorongoro Restrictions

I've been reading through people's East Africa safari discussions and am trying to understand the Ngorongoro restrictions. I understand it to be a limit of only a half day inside the crater. Has anyone experienced this themselves? I also heard something about no back-to-back visits. Is this true?

My current plan is to arrive midday, visit in the afternoon, visit again the next morning and then move on. I don't 100% trust tour outfitters to be completely upfront so I would appreciate anyone's first hand experience.

Lawrence
Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:55 AM
sandi

The restrictions for the Ngorongoro Crater visits don't go into effect until July 1. Accordingly, no one can actually tell you about this. However, I have noticed that many travelers who have posted here with the new limitations, seem to to scheduling an afternoon crater tour on the day they arrive, then another the next morning. I would suggest you discuss this with your tour operator.

Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:09 PM

Several years ago, when whole day excursions into the Crater were the norm, I was told by a guide at the Crater that you could not do two days into the Crater, back-to-back.

Once only 1/2 day tours are allowed, the rules will likely change, In fact, the itineraries that I am seeing posted here show just that. Two 1/2-day trips two days in a row seem to be the norm now.
Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Sandi - thanks, that explains a lot, I though I had read they started last year but now its clear.

Atravelynn - thanks for your thoughts on the back to back issue!

Search this Thread