Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Ngorongoro Rates Go Up (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/ngorongoro-rates-go-up-584510/)

loveintravelin Jan 23rd, 2006 08:10 PM

Ngorongoro Rates Go Up

Here's an link that talks about this rate increase. http://allafrica.com/stories/200601230124.html

thit_cho Jan 24th, 2006 05:35 AM

Those rate increases sound like an excellent idea to reduce traffic.

bat Jan 24th, 2006 06:05 AM

Here is what that article says about the proposed plan to limit the trips to half days:
"The Ngorongoro Conservation authority, was also intending to reduce the time spent in the crater by tourists, from the current full day program, down to just a half day expedition. However, pending some structural adjustments, the move has been postponed until later."

wjsonl Jan 24th, 2006 06:37 AM

"However, pending some structural adjustments, the move has been postponed until later."

I remember thinking as we bumped our way along the narrow road going down into the Crater, that I was very glad that we were in a 4x4 Land Cruiser rather than one of those pop-top minivans. After we finished our game drive, on the way up the road I was very thankful that it was nearing the end of the day and that there wouldn't be any vehicles coming down as we were going up. I could visualize how easy it would be for a vehicle to round a corner and meet head-to-head with another vehicle, and the one going downhill would have to choose one of two options and neither one any good: just go ahead and slide into the front of the vehicle going up, or turn to avoid it and take a chance on sliding off the side of the road (something you REALLY don't want to do on that Crater road).

Don't know the specific "structural adjustment" they might be referring to, but I wouldn't be surprised if the road had something to do with the delay in implementing the proposed 1/2 day Crater tours.

dayoung Jan 25th, 2006 12:54 PM

does anyone know if vehicles going into the crater are currently limited to 6 hours or is that the 1/2 day restriction coming soon? How many hours does the current full day allow?

luangwablondes Jan 25th, 2006 01:15 PM

Kenya has decided to raise their park fees also.
Amboseli and the Bird Sanctuary US$30; Tsavo East & West and Meru National Park US$27; Nairobi and Shimba Hills US$23; all other national parks US$15.

Patty Jan 25th, 2006 02:26 PM

Robbie,
I'm pretty sure those are the current fees and not the proposed increase. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the new fee schedule anywhere online. I believe the increase is supposed to go into effect this July.

sandi Jan 25th, 2006 03:12 PM

Some in the Mara are $40/day and a number of accommodations on private conservation lands, have an additional fee (for the conservation area)... can total $50/day or more.

wjsonl Jan 26th, 2006 04:32 AM

dayoung,

The only time restriction I recall from last summer was that all vehicles had to be out of the Crater by 5 or 6 p.m., can't remember exact time.

Maurice_M Jan 26th, 2006 05:18 AM

We were the very first vehicle to get caught out with the extra fees. We entered the Crater on 01-01-2006 at 06.15 (the gateman was a little late). We had to pay an extra 75US$, as we had only paid the 25US$ when entering the conservation area on the day before the fees went up.
I do not believe for 1 minute increasing the fees will do anything at all to reduce the numbers of vehicles. People travel from all over the world to visit this area, most are on expensive guided tours. If you divide the extra 75US$ by the number of passengers then the incremental increase on top of the whole trip will only be a drop in the ocean.

By restricting the visiting to half a day is only going to worsen the impact on the environment, not make it better. The reason for this it that twice as much traffic will then be going into the crater per day. Additionally, at the moment as the vehicles stay all day they cover the area once in that day and take their time to do so. If the vehicles are on a limited time schedule they will drive as far and as fast as possible in the available time. This will then negatively impact much more on the roads inside the Crater than at present.

I see these increases purely as a money making scheme. You only need to take a look at the public camping facilities at Simba A, they are nothing short of disgraceful. The NCCA should use some of the extra revenue to improve these to a third world standard at the very least.

Maurice

schlegal1 Jan 26th, 2006 05:34 AM

Responding to wjsonl's comment about vehicles going up/down the same road--my understanding was that there is an entry road and an exit road (and that you don't use one for the other).

The fee increase might reduce traffic a bit but I don't really see how limiting to half days will.

Maurice_M Jan 26th, 2006 05:56 AM

Actually there are three Crater roads, there is an ascent only road near to the NCCA headquarters, heading West from there about 8km is the descent only road and on the Northern side of the Crater there is a combined ascent and descent road.

Maurice

wjsonl Jan 26th, 2006 05:57 AM

schlegal, you're probably right about that. I just don't remember. Thanks, J

thit_cho Jan 26th, 2006 06:13 AM

I would actually support a substantial price increase (per person, not per vehicle) and restrict the number of visitors each day, like the gorilla trekking permits. The Crater is a unique wonderland, and it needs to be better managed. If that reduces the number of visitors, or prices some out of visiting, or forces you to carefully plan to get an access permit, that's OK with me.