Search

Windhoek restuarants

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 06:35 AM
adeewebstr

Windhoek restuarants

I wondered if anyone has eaten dinner at the Heintizburg hotel? My husband and I were thinking of eating there one night (getting the boys something earlier). Any suggestions for the other night - we're all pretty adventurous eaters and it would be fun to have something different

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stayed there, but didn't eat dinner since I prefer to get out of the hotel, but it has a nice wine list and the menu looked interesting (the breakfast was very good).

Joe's Pub was my favorite place (burgers and such), but a bit of a local feel. I also ate at Gutteman's (sp?) on the main street, and it was very good.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 08:03 AM

My husband and I ate dinner there 3 or 4 years ago. It was very good -- gourmet food and an excellent wine list.

Warning -- don't wear sandals or shorts. If you do they'll seat you in the wine cellar (which is enchanting), rather than upstairs where you can watch the sunset.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 09:36 AM

It is without question the best restaurant in Windhoek and thus in Namibia. It is so far above the other options that you definitely should book it. And do mind the dress code! It is a lovely setting, as the Heinitzburg is on a hill, and the terrace outside the restaurant is wonderful for drinks at sunset or for dinner if the weather is warm enough.

Joe's Pub is really popular (and well-known all over Namibia, rather amusing!) for pub fare. Not a place for a really special meal when you leave the kids behind however!

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 09:53 AM
DJE

We dined in the restaurant a few times during our stay in the Heinitzburg a few years ago. It was very good both times and I hope to be able to dine there again during our upcoming return trip to Africa this year. Regarding the dress code, both my spouse and myself were casually dressed and this was more than acceptable attire to dine in. Some patrons were much more dressed up however we felt quite comfortable in our casual wear.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Fil

Try Joe BeerHouse (kids will enjoy), very cosy! And also the new restaurant The Famous Butcher Grill. Very good meat...
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 05:32 AM
adeewebstr

Thanks! It looks like we'll do Joe's for our first night and the Heinitzburg for our second. Anothe question: what time do people generally eat lunch and dinner? We're going to be totally jet-lagged the first day, so I hope it's on the early side! Also, any suggestions for lunch?