Ngorongoro Crater in August

Jul 9th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Ngorongoro Crater in August

I am doing carry on luggage on NWA/KLM for an August safari and therefore want to pack light. Do I need a heavy sweater, warm gloves, knit hat, and/or scarf for an early morning (at opening time) game drive in the crater?
Will I need any of these for early game drives in the north Serengeti, central Serengeti, Tarangire? Clothing at night?
We are doing private luxury camping and tented lodges except at the crater where we are staying at the Serena. Any requirements for warm clothing?

Thanks
Gary
Jul 9th, 2008, 04:37 PM

I would take a fleece, hat and gloves. Early mornings game drives and evenings on the crater rim can be chilly.
Jul 9th, 2008, 05:31 PM

The 6 AM ride down into the crater was pretty chilly in January, and it should be even colder in August, but if your jeep is enclosed you can just wear a windbreaker and huddle down out of the wind and be OK ... after the sun comes up it's very hot inside the crater so you just need something warm for a short time. If you are eating breakfast at the lodge and then heading down it's even warmer, it's just the pre-dawn ride that's chilly.

Bill
Jul 10th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Our vehicle is a stretched 9 seat( of which 7 are in the back) Land Rover with a convertible canvas top which can be rolled back. The Land Rover is enclosed (glass sliding windows). There will be two of us plus driver-guide.I do plan on taking a light fleece and a Exofficio MicroClimb Windshell(windbreaker). It sounds like I do not need the heavy sweater.
Jul 10th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

And yes,we plan on the pre dawn ride.
Jul 10th, 2008, 12:18 PM

I don't know how the winter months in Tanzania compare to Zimbabwe, Botswana, and the Caprivi Strip in Namibia, all in southern Africa, but in those countries in August it was VERY cold on the morning drives. But it warmed up pretty fast and got actually hot later on. I needed a fleece, turtle neck top, etc. and in Namibia we had lap robes for the morning drive, which was really nice (and needed). I never did wear my gloves or a hat, but it was very nippy.
Jul 11th, 2008, 05:52 PM

The crater is one of the colder safari experiences. I've been there in Aug and would take what Dana suggested. I wore double trousers too.
Jul 19th, 2008, 05:50 AM

I just returned, and I can tell you not only was it cold (and foggy) on the rim, it was cold on the crater floor until noon at the earliest. I had a fleece and sweathshirt underneath, plus hat and gloves, and was ok if the heater was running and I sat in the first row of seats. We saw others wrapped in blankets, as well as lots of "hoodies." Now, August may be warmer, and we were told that it was not so cold just the week before we were there. I was like you and couldn't believe I'd really need the stuff for the cold, but am glad I threw in the gloves at the last minute.