Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Ngamba Island .... (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/ngamba-island-363196/)

Cheweyhead May 16th, 2008 11:36 AM

Ngamba Island ....

Which vaccinations did you need for Ngamba Island?
And, is it the yellow card we show them or another form?

Thanks,
Keri

atravelynn May 16th, 2008 05:11 PM

It could change so I'd have the Ngamba staff tell you, then fax documentation of the various vaccines to them in advance and carry copies with you.

It appears I am avoiding your question, but it is best to get exactly what is needed from the source because one omission and no chimp walk.

Wingi May 17th, 2008 05:36 AM

Cheweyhead,

We are going to Ngamba Island at Christmas.

This is the info we have been given:

CHECKLIST FOR VISITORS DOING FOREST WALKS OR CAREGIVER FOR A DAY PROGRAM
The following vaccinations and health checks are mandatory and MUST be accompanied by supporting documentation.

Vaccinations and tests required
(We have stated what we believe to be the validity of most vaccines, after which time your doctor/health clinic should be able to recommend further vaccinations and/or booster shots.)

(1) Hepatitis A (valid 20 years)
(2) Hepatitis B (valid 5 years)
(3) Measles vaccination (We will need to see medical proof of your immunity to measles, through either a recent vaccination or a blood test titer result, stating your immunity to measles. Unfortunately even if you have had the disease or a vaccine as a child we will need to see a blood test result, again stating/showing your immunity to measles. Physicians are now debating whether the measles vaccine you had as a child still has a lifetime immunity. You can also receive the vaccine as an adult which often comes in the form of MMR (mumps, measles and rubella). Consult with your doctor for further advice. Please note that you MUST have supporting documentation to prove your immunity to measles.)
(4) Meningococcal meningitis (menomune vaccine - covers A, C, W & Y strains) (valid 3 years)
(5) Polio vaccination (valid 10 years)
(6) Tetanus vaccination (valid 10 years)
(7) Yellow fever (valid 10 years)
(8) Tuberculosis (TB) test - negative result - this test can be done through your doctor or laboratory. It usually takes three days. They do a skin reaction test (sometimes called a mantoux test) on the first day and you return 72 hours later to have the reaction read. If the reaction is of concern, your doctor/laboratory may recommend a chest x-ray/sputum test or other.
If you have had the BCG vaccination as a child, your test could result in a positive reading. In which case, because we still require proof that you do not have TB, we will require you to have a chest x-ray and we will need to see the (paper) result, clearly stating that you do not have TB.

Please also note that your TB test must have been done within the last six months prior to your arrival at the sanctuary.

All vaccines must be at least two (2) weeks old prior to arrival on the island (as this is the length of time it takes for your immunity levels to react).

While we realise that this is more than what is recommended for Africa, these are necessary in order to have close contact with the chimps on Ngamba Island during the forest walk or caregiver for a day program. This is to protect them from diseases that you may bring to the island. All of our chimpanzees receive yearly healthchecks and have been tested/vaccinated for the above and have also tested negative to the HIV virus.

Please ensure that before you leave the doctors surgery/laboratory, that you check that all of your vaccinations are recorded correctly.

Failure to provide supporting documentation of the above requirements, will result in you not being permitted to participate in the forest walk or caregiver for a day program with the chimps.

I am going to start sorting all of this out in my summer break!

Cheweyhead May 17th, 2008 08:46 AM

Wow,
Thanks so much for that information.
Fortunately I just took a titer test for some of those this week (for working in a hospital).
But our work is cut out for us!

I hope all goes well with you and your trip and preparation.

Keri

Wingi May 17th, 2008 09:09 AM

The list looks pretty daunting, doesn't it?!

When are you planning to go there?

Cheweyhead May 17th, 2008 09:56 AM

We are in the planning stages.
But most likely early September 2009.

cat_lover May 18th, 2008 04:39 PM

Hi Cheweyhead, it's me again!
I was able to download a form from www.ngambaisland.org website which I took to my travel clinic and GP doctor and they completed the info all on the same form. That made it really easy for me to see what I still needed. I think that Wild Frontiers might also have the form on-line, but if you can get it from Ngamba, you'll know for sure that it's current.
I then scanned the form and e-mailed it to the folks at Ngamba just to make sure that it was ok. No way was I going to get there and be told that I couldn't play with the chimps!
The only other concern I had was not getting sick prior to the trip. I was a realy loner and even worked from home in the week before my trip (several co-workers had colds).
Hope this helps!
hef

Cheweyhead May 19th, 2008 08:11 AM

Thanks for that great information. I am pretty sure the Hep B and Meningitis Vaccines are in our future!

Chris_GA_Atl May 19th, 2008 08:31 AM

Chewey, you will not regret it. Doing that forest walk is one of the most memorable experiences we have had on any trip anywhere in the world. It was incredible!

Chris