Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Ngala Safari Lodge and Wild Dogs (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/ngala-safari-lodge-and-wild-dogs-928053/)

Africa2012 Mar 17th, 2012 10:33 AM

Ngala Safari Lodge and Wild Dogs

In addition to Londolozi (see my other post if you're interested), I am also thinking about adding Ngala -- only for the wild dogs. Unfortunately, the tented camp is closed and under construction till the end of July due to the floods. Do folks recommend Ngala? Are wild dog sightings a virtual certainty? Is there anywhere else that wild dogs are probable?

cary999 Mar 17th, 2012 11:02 AM

Unless wild dogs are denning for pups I don't think anyone can predict very far ahead where they will likely be.

Re Ngala Lodge, I was at Ngala Lodge for 8 nights in Sep 2008. I do not recommend it because of its location. It is on a very narrow sliver of land and for good game viewing they drive down into the Ngala Tented area. This drive wastes about 20 mins each way. And if you are interested in photography that is 20 mins of prime light, early morning and late afternoon. Ngala says they are in the large Timbavati reserve but they don't say that they can -not- share traversing rights in the Timbavati. You will be disappointed with Ngala Lodge after Londolozi or Leadwood So if you simply simply must go to Ngala, go there first.

regards - tom

cary999 Mar 17th, 2012 11:05 AM

Oh, I should add, in 2009 I saw wild dogs at Kirkmans Kamp, (Sabi Sand) for one day. Go to Kirkmans Kamp before going to Ngala Lodge. Kirkmans is also part of &Beyond (like Leadwood).

regards - tom

Africa2012 Mar 17th, 2012 11:44 AM

Thanks Tom. I was thinking about Kirkman's.

Do you have any other suggestions on an additional place to go on safari for another three nights? My original plan was to do 8 days in Cape Town, but given the winter weather, I've been discouraged from doing that. So I am back to the drawing board trying to figure out what to do for 3 of those 8 nights....

cary999 Mar 17th, 2012 01:26 PM

As I replied your other post -
Don't know where you are A2012, I live in California. If I want a beach, I go to the beach: if I want scenery, I go to Southwest USA: if I want culture, I go to Europe. I go to Africa for nature, wildlife only.

And, so, after 6 nights in Sabi Sand I'd go to an &Beyond safari camp in Phinda reserve.

regards - tom

christabir Mar 17th, 2012 04:37 PM

If you find somewhere dogs are probable, let me know. We've been very unlucky. There's a collared pack at Mashatu and another at Venetia. Thanda has a pack that just hopped the fence into Zululand Rhino Reserve. Everywhere ales, as far as I know, it's luck of the draw.

Africa2012 Mar 17th, 2012 06:43 PM

If you really want to see wild dogs, then Madikwe is apparently the place. Unfortunately, the only way to get there is through Johannesburg, and it doesn't work well with my itinerary. Next time.

Femi Mar 17th, 2012 06:58 PM

We saw wild dogs at both Ngala (stayed at the lodge) and Exeter River Lodge in 2010.

cary999 Mar 17th, 2012 07:26 PM

I was Madikwe Hills Lodge in 2007 and would not go back to that reserve. Too many artificial/concrete water holes and too little wildlife. There were also no leopards there in 2007. But - check Madikwe Hills Lodge on TripAdvisor, nothing but "wonderful, amazing, stunning, best ever". That is why I pay NO attention to TA, most posters there have no perspective, no frame of reference. Just that they spent $3,000 so it therefore HAS to be great.

regards - tom
ps - wild dogs, yes, just before I was at MHL (May of 2007) there was a wild dog pack. But they burrowed under the fence and escaped!!!

shouldbewriting Mar 19th, 2012 10:57 AM

We had wonderful sightings of wild dogs at Ngala Lodge, Sept. 2011. Spent time with them just after they made a kill; then later the same day as they were waking up and heading off to the hunt. Ngala is certainly a case of different strokes, and also luck of the draw, because of the 3 locations visited (others being Sabi Sand & Phinda) we felt it gave more of a true, natural safari experience: we did have to drive farther and look harder for game there, but have just as many wonderful animal memories of Ngala as of the other places.

Femi Mar 19th, 2012 05:38 PM

Shouldbewriting makes a good point. I enjoyed my stay at Ngala lodge more than I did Exeter River. Safari styles vary wildly (no pun intended :) ) on this board, and that's a good thing because it means there's something out there to suit everyone.